+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

India DL and extract not acceptable

bathla18

Feb 26, 2022
Hi,

I went to the driving center in Scarborough for my G1 test and bring my Indian DL (2019 issued) and DL extract (stamped and hand signature showing 3 yrs exp.) from RTO (U.P.) but it was rejected by the officer saying, license and extract not matching MTO guidelines and she wasn't able to scan (please answer if anyone knows do they scan extract and license both?)
Has anyone faced this issue before or am I the only one? My license is chip-based but the chip is a little bit damaged, I'm not sure if that matters or not.

P.S. My DL extract is black and white, not sure if that matters or not

bathla18

Feb 26, 2022
Agreed but people from other countries apart from exchange agreement countries can get previous driving experience credit. Please refer to the statement below from MTO website.
You might still be able to fast-track and get credit for previous driving experience.
You need to provide the right documents, when you apply for an Ontario driver’s licence.

Proof of driving experience
You can self-declare one year of driving experience, by showing a valid, original foreign driver’s licence.
If you want to earn credit for more than one year of driving experience, you will also need an official letter from the foreign government or agency that issued the driver’s licence, confirming that the licence is authentic. This letter needs to be written in English or French.
You do not need a letter if you are exchanging a novice licence from another province.

Reactions: bluehorse

aspirecanada2021

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
India
@bathla18 You should be able to get one year of experience on your indian DL... this will enable you to book your G2 test immediately which if passed ...you can rent car, drive on highways etc......

DL extract acceptance is a hit or miss.... try other drive test centers.....they may be able to accept it....... my friend tried other center and DL extract was accepted....... this "not according to MTO" guideline is very vague... usually they use just to reject and stonewall on giving any proper reason for rejection.....

try to go early in the morning, like at 6.45 am so that you are in first 10.... they may be in better mood....

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Agreed but people from other countries apart from exchange agreement countries can get previous driving experience credit. Please refer to the statement below from MTO website.
That makes sense!

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
@bathla18 You should be able to get one year of experience on your indian DL... this will enable you to book your G2 test immediately which if passed ...you can rent car, drive on highways etc......

DL extract acceptance is a hit or miss.... try other drive test centers.....they may be able to accept it....... my friend tried other center and DL extract was accepted....... this "not according to MTO" guideline is very vague... usually they use just to reject and stonewall on giving any proper reason for rejection.....

try to go early in the morning, like at 6.45 am so that you are in first 10.... they may be in better mood....
Any suggestions on good Drive Test locations for this ?

aspirecanada2021

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
India
@bluehorse - Its all dependent on luck... as per my information there is no such "good test center" ..... some people got their DL extract accepted in Brampton, so couldnt....some got accepted in Mississauga...some didnt....some got accepted in Oakville, some couldnt......

important point is to keep trying ... get a proper genuine DL extract from India with Signature and Seal and also preferably your photo pasted and sealed upon from India ......

also heard that if you can also get "cover letter" from RTO .... it helps in acceptance.....

cover letter is nothing but pretty much in the words that the DL number so and so belongs to him/her....valid till the date etc etc... based on the driving history the person doesnt has any accident and has clean driving history.... this cover letter is issued by RTO officer..... it should have photo and RTO seal, with RTO seal on photo also....

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
I dont have DL extracts from India. My case is a bit different.

I have US drivers license from NJ and OH since 2015. However, from July 2019 till May 2021 (For like one and a half yrs), I was in India and again I came back to the U.S now, living in NJ. I have DL extracts from NJ and OH, and an active NJ license as well. Would this be accepted ? (Given the fact that I lived in India for one and a half yrs)

bathla18

Feb 26, 2022

I tried Indian DL and extract but the lady on the counter told me that my DL itself is not acceptable hence to no experience credit.

aspirecanada2021

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
India
I dont have DL extracts from India. My case is a bit different.

I have US drivers license from NJ and OH since 2015. However, from July 2019 till May 2021 (For like one and a half yrs), I was in India and again I came back to the U.S now, living in NJ. I have DL extracts from NJ and OH, and an active NJ license as well. Would this be accepted ? (Given the fact that I lived in India for one and a half yrs)
@bluehorse Oh man..then you are through......You dont have to worry about anything.... you can directly exchange your valid USA license for a valid G (Ontario) license ...you dont have to give any test or anything.... they will directly exchange your license for the valid Canadian license and you will be eligible to drive immediately......

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
@bluehorse Oh man..then you are through......You dont have to worry about anything.... you can directly exchange your valid USA license for a valid G (Ontario) license ...you dont have to give any test or anything.... they will directly exchange your license for the valid Canadian license and you will be eligible to drive immediately......
Cool! Hope for the best ... I'm landing on April 27th and planning to visit Drive test on that same day as well. Will let you know guys how it goes ...

aspirecanada2021

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
India
I tried Indian DL and extract but the lady on the counter told me that my DL itself is not acceptable hence to no experience credit.
Try again...... I got 1 year of experience right away with my G1 exam and was able to give G2 after taking lessons and pass it......... my friend didnt got even 1 year experience on DL, but later in a different test center, got 1 year as well as Indian experience added.....

@bathla18 - If you have arrived recently and have G1 license, I will suggest you to get a new DL extract and cover letter issued by RTO ....start going to different drive test centers and try..... I will strongly suggest to go early morning so that the employees are in good mood......

Reactions: bathla18

aspirecanada2021

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
India
Cool! Hope for the best ... I'm landing on April 27th and planning to visit Drive test on that same day as well. Will let you know guys how it goes ...
Just be aware that they are going to keep your US license with them and wont return it....they will instead issue a new Canadian License..... so if you plan to use your US DL as photo id, plan ahead..... also Canadian photo DL will come in few weeks...so plan for it ahead...

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Just be aware that they are going to keep your US license with them and wont return it....they will instead issue a new Canadian License..... so if you plan to use your US DL as photo id, plan ahead..... also Canadian photo DL will come in few weeks...so plan for it ahead...
Yes I'm aware of it. Anyhow, the U.S DL wouldn't be necessary as I would be using my Passport as a Photo ID. Except that part, the signed CoPR should serve the purpose of availing all the other services ...