+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income Tax Filing as PR

felixtae

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
I received my PR at the end of 2014 but did not move to Toronto until Autumn 2017. Am I required to file income tax for the years prior to moving into Canada? I am applying for citizenship soon and started in gathering all needed documents. There is a question on the form requiring filing income tax. I remember I was told that I do not have to file until I get here BUT someone mentioned to me that I supposed to file for every year since receiving my PR status.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I received my PR at the end of 2014 but did not move to Toronto until Autumn 2017. Am I required to file income tax for the years prior to moving into Canada? I am applying for citizenship soon and started in gathering all needed documents. There is a question on the form requiring filing income tax. I remember I was told that I do not have to file until I get here BUT someone mentioned to me that I supposed to file for every year since receiving my PR status.

Thanks.
Depends if you were a tax resident all those years. Was your spouse or child living in Canada during that time? Were you making money in Canada? Did you have a home in Canada between 2014-17, etc. If you are not a resident for tax purposes no you didn’t need to file for those years before you moved to Canada.

felixtae

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
Depends if you were a tax resident all those years. Was your spouse or child living in Canada during that time? Were you making money in Canada? Did you have a home in Canada between 2014-17, etc. If you are not a resident for tax purposes no you didn’t need to file for those years before you moved to Canada.
Thanks for your reply. I am single and was not living in Canada during that time, though I did came to Canada about every 6 months, each for 2 weeks or so, for various purposes. I did open a bank account in around 2015 or 2016 to leave the left over cash from the trips. The account balance was never over CAD 1000. I did not have any other Canadian incomes back then.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your reply. I am single and was not living in Canada during that time, though I did came to Canada about every 6 months, each for 2 weeks or so, for various purposes. I did open a bank account in around 2015 or 2016 to leave the left over cash from the trips. The account balance was never over CAD 1000. I did not have any other Canadian incomes back then.
So you weren’t a tax resident those years.

felixtae

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
Don’t let the IRS and CRA penalize you for missing forms or incomplete reporting because you hired a tax professional who had little to no knowledge of cross-border tax, let alone the tax treaty.

The reality is, in this day, you need someone credible who understands both US and Canadian tax systems and tax treaty to help you. I work with people just like you every day!

Let’s talk so we can get your cross-border taxes in order.

What is your good phone number or email so we can contact you?
Huh? What does that have to do with IRS or US tax at all?