+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada Spousal Sponsorship - Overstayed visitor visa, worked without authorization, first stage approval, should they apply work permit or wait?

Icyestate333

Feb 6, 2024
Hello, I am helping some friends with their sponsorship application as I used to work in a law firm as an Assistant. My friend is Canadian, but her husband is not. He came here years ago on a visitor visa, overstayed, and began working without authorization. They were married last year and submitted their application. Last month, they received her approval to be a Sponsor. I advised him he should not work anymore last year and he hasn't since August of 2023. The letter they received states he can now apply for a work permit (which I know will give him status). However, they were completely honest with his work history in their application, and now they are wondering if they should just wait for the sponsorship to finish processing (about 6-8 more months or less) or apply for the work permit and risk an inadmissibility issue and exclusion order. Everything is done so far as biometrics, medical, and police clearances. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
He could still apply for work permit and be honest about his working without authorization which I am hoping he was on his initial inland spousal sponsorship application. Sooner or later he has to inform the immigration about working without authorization, it is better for him to do it now or it will come back to him maybe even after his application is approved and he is a PR. IRCC can still come back to him and cancel his PR if he has obtained his PR by not being 100%truthful.