+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada since January, Still no Job

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Well, I guess everyone has a different approach.. It took me 2 weeks after landing to get a full time job with benefits in my field of expertise. But I was probably lucky and at the right time at the right place.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
foodie69 said:
Well, I guess everyone has a different approach.. It took me 2 weeks after landing to get a full time job with benefits in my field of expertise. But I was probably lucky and at the right time at the right place.
Yes, and there is nothing wrong with looking for a job for 2 weeks, or one month, or two months. However -- my recommendation would be that you re-evaluate that, if you don't have a job at two months. Every field is different, and this thread was started by someone in a specialized profession with strong local networks. Finance, IT, public health, nursing, engineering, teaching, are all different.

sam_172452

Jun 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nope said:
Yes, and there is nothing wrong with looking for a job for 2 weeks, or one month, or two months. However -- my recommendation would be that you re-evaluate that, if you don't have a job at two months. Every field is different, and this thread was started by someone in a specialized profession with strong local networks. Finance, IT, public health, nursing, engineering, teaching, are all different.
Thank you!

You have made me feel a lot better about everything.

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
very rational and realistic advice, if I'm a manager and I'm hiring, I'd hire one with your attitude :)
nope said:
This reflects a rather idealized image of the job search . . . Here are some things to consider as well:

- Canada is not a large country, and one can quickly go through the professional resources in a single area

- Canadians are somewhat less amenable than Americans to hiring people at a distance (at least in my experience), and this becomes even more pronounced when you are applying for jobs for which you are under or overqualified

- when you are doing this, you are spending your time on very low-efficiency approaches. The chance of a Facebook page being successful in your job search is not high; but the chance of you becoming depressed from spending too much time on the Internet is significantly greater.

- this approach is quite risky, because it identifies 'success' as 'a professional, middle-class job'. Setting expectations high is dangerous -- for most immigrants, 'success' should begin as getting settled in the new country, finding a life that is at least secure. Doing nothing but apply for jobs is not secure -- you have no money coming in! Every week makes you more anxious, it is very difficult to live that way.

- there are a huge number of quasi-useless approaches people are told to employ. The 'informational interview', in which the HR person stares at you and you try to explain what you are doing there when there is no job to apply for; 'volunteering', which can be good in restricted situations but usually is not; etc.

Here is a more realistic plan for finding a professional job.

1) Get any job at all, make sure that your life is stable. Why is this good? Because, frankly, there are not enough jobs for you to spend 8 hours a day applying for them. Having a few hours in the evening will force you to use your time efficiently, and choose quality opportunities. In the meantime, you settle into Canada -- you've landed, you're working, and your family is getting adjusted. Money is not great, but it is sufficient to survive.

2) Once you have that job, find something, anything, that you can do part-time, or as a volunteer, or as a contractor, that is remotely related to your professional specialty. Do a great job on this. Give it space on your resume.

3) Use that to find a full-time job -- anything -- in your professional area.

4) The next job you accept will be the one you want. Now that you are somewhat established, you have a greater ability to apply to jobs at a distance; your applications are more compelling because you are already settled where you are, which is evidence that you truly want the job you are applying for. If I am in Vancouver and have no job, and I apply for a job I am overqualified for in Regina, who will believe that I want to stay there?

And what do you do when you are applying for a professional job as a clerk at Safeway? You tell the person "I came to Canada to work -- that was the first job I found, and it supports my family. It's fine for now, but I don't want to do it forever." Here in Canada there is not the same prejudice against labour as there is in other parts of the world -- you are not ruined by working in a 'low status' job. Ultimately, coming to Canada is about success; and refusing to work unless you get the job that you want is a very restricted vision of 'success'. I think it is better to be busy with work -- which is Canadian experience, even if it is simple work -- than to spend 6 months or a year with no job at all. THAT is far more damaging on a resume than working in a grocery store -- where is the evidence that you even can work, in that case?

Obviously, your strategy should vary depending on the number of jobs in your professional area, and their geographic dispersion. My education is in public health, in which jobs are distributed fairly evenly, but thinly, across Canada, and there are significant local networks that are difficult to enter as an outsider.

Database Admin

Star Member
Apr 17, 2009
Not surprised. I am in USA and not in Canada for that same reason. This is not to discourage anyone, but Canada is a tough place to get a good paying job. If you're a high skilled immigrant USA is much better than Canada although it takes time to get a green card. Canada will give you permanent residency, but you'll have to settle for low skilled jobs as high skilled jobs are very limited and there's probably too much competition.

MaryClark

Jul 25, 2016
The fact that you got interviews means your resume is working. This is a very good news!
You can try to apply as intern, unpaid worker, network on trade shows industry related.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
sam_172452 said:
Hello Everyone,

I've been in Canada since January 23. I'm an Environmental Engineer that's got 4 years work experience with a global firm in both the UK and UAE. I'm currently in Ontario and im struggling to find any work. It's been a real headache. I would really appreciate if anyone has any sort of advice for me? I really like living here and i do not regret my decision but the job hunt is getting me stressed!
Did you get job in Canada?