+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-Canada PR Application Question

rmahnke

Feb 18, 2010
So my commonlaw partner is already living in Canada with me (I'm the Canadian) and has a workers visa which is up in September. We're about to send off our application but I have a question and couldn't really find an answer. If the application is still being processed by the time his visa is up, what happens? Is he allowed to extend, does he have to leave the country? Recently the options to extend his workers visa on its own has been nixed which is why we are scurrying to do the commonlaw route. Any info would be much appreciated.

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
as far as i know, if u apply inland, u can NOT leave Canada till the end of process. so ur partner will need to ask for visa extension as a visitor if the work visa will be over.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
He needs to include an extension application WITH the inland PR ap AND the whole thing needs to be received by CPC-Vegreville BEFORE his work permit expires. That protects his ability to continue working under the terms of his original work permit, even after it expires. Once he passes the first stage of assessment on the inland ap (6-7 months), they will automatically issue him an Open Work Permit as his new temporary status document. This keeps him in status, and working, until he gets PR.

This info is in the Applicant's Guide for the inland application, in Part II - Your Status in Canada. It's VERY, VERY important to do this. If you miss this piece of the puzzle and his temporary status expires while he has an inland PR ap in process, his ap will be transferred to a local office and could get stuck in a que and be years before it's unburied.