+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada on PR, Now Priority Dates have become current in USA, anyone in a similar situation?

ripster85

Star Member
Sep 9, 2019
Just sending an update - my lawyer has filed the i-824 but no idea how long it will take and what happens if the 1 yr time is up since PD becoming active.
At this point though I have given up all hope of getting a GC. The only reason it would have made sense is if I moved back to US, however with the recent shooting I am more determined to stay in Canada. Screw US!
Takes 2-3 years for consular processing

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Just sending an update - my lawyer has filed the i-824 but no idea how long it will take and what happens if the 1 yr time is up since PD becoming active.
At this point though I have given up all hope of getting a GC. The only reason it would have made sense is if I moved back to US, however with the recent shooting I am more determined to stay in Canada. Screw US!
Where is this 1 yr coming from? Is it because of one is still employed in that role?

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Where is this 1 yr coming from? Is it because of one is still employed in that role?
Yes. This is what I am wondering too. Is there any reference that says after your priority date becomes current, you have to apply within a year or the PD will be lost?

If a PD becomes current and doesnt ever retrogress, does it not mean its always current from then on and we can apply for I-485 anytime in future without any wait?

If some one had a PD of Feb 2008, I am assuming he is eligible to apply anytime now since its been long time it became current. Correct me if I am wrong.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Yes. This is what I am wondering too. Is there any reference that says after your priority date becomes current, you have to apply within a year or the PD will be lost?

If a PD becomes current and doesnt ever retrogress, does it not mean its always current from then on and we can apply for I-485 anytime in future without any wait?

If some one had a PD of Feb 2008, I am assuming he is eligible to apply anytime now since its been long time it became current. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, that is my understanding as well. Heard of a case of 2012 priority date, moved to India, found a new job in 2022, moved back and starting a new PERM process. The only gotcha to reuse priority date is perhaps a similar role in new job?

@harirajmohan Do you have any thoughts?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Yes, that is my understanding as well. Heard of a case of 2012 priority date, moved to India, found a new job in 2022, moved back and starting a new PERM process. The only gotcha to reuse priority date is perhaps a similar role in new job?

Sorry i am not sure about how to retain old priority date after it became current a while ago.

iceman55

May 1, 2022

https://www.murthy.com/2011/12/02/priority-date-finally-current-how-soon-should-i-485-be-filed/

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-before-priority-date-current-will-i-letter-telling-me.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/national-visa-center.html

It appears NVC gets involved only in consular processing cases. In that case, NVC would send a welcome letter right before the priority date becoming current and if you don't respond within a year, the visa may be considered abandoned. Not sure if that abandonment is irrevocable.

But if your I 140 was filed without consular processing, you should be able to file a PERM with a new employer under EB-2 or EB-3 and claim your old date and once PERM is approved, should be able to concurrently file I-140 and 485 since your PD would be current.

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
Just a quick question to any one in this group, who can help
I am a Canadian PR and would be applying for citizenship late this year. I moved from US and have a I 140 approved earlier with my previous organization.Now my old PD is current. Now I am thinking of asking my current organization(In canada) to start green card through consular processing. Had following questions -

1. Is PERM needed for Consular processing? Dont see anything on it, want to make sure
2. Can we port the PD from old I 140 even though the new one is going to be consular processing?
3. I have B1/ B2. Is there any impact in traveling to US when the consular processing green card is in progress?

Lilly 12

Nov 7, 2019
App. Filed.......
Permanent Resident card
Doc's Request.
Oct 8,2019
Hi,

Any waiting is here for the spouse NVC interview in Canada. I'm current as per the visa bulletin. I got document approval on April 27th 2023