+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing already owned Car from US

Mar 16, 2020
Hi Guys,

Your kind help or any leads would be really appreciated.

My husband imported a car from the US which he owned since Mar 2017.

A little back story:

He moved to canada in Jan 2019 on Visitor's Visa and then we applied for spousal sponsorship PR and he got his PR On Oct 1st 2019. The visa office asked us about the goods to follow, we said we have to import our car she said no problem.

We paid off the car dues and we we called Border Security and they told us we are exempt for taxes since he just got PR.

But, when we crossed the border the CBSA officer said we have to pay taxes since this comes under settlement and we should have filled out goods to follow. We did not know about that since, we thought we have to fill at the border and the Visa Officer did not mention this as well.

I would like to know if there is any way we would get a refund or if there is some one who knows about this who can help us. We spent nearly 2k on this. I would like to know if we were incorrectly charged for this.

Your help or advice is really appreciated. Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Guys,

Your kind help or any leads would be really appreciated.

My husband imported a car from the US which he owned since Mar 2017.

A little back story:

He moved to canada in Jan 2019 on Visitor's Visa and then we applied for spousal sponsorship PR and he got his PR On Oct 1st 2019. The visa office asked us about the goods to follow, we said we have to import our car she said no problem.

We paid off the car dues and we we called Border Security and they told us we are exempt for taxes since he just got PR.

But, when we crossed the border the CBSA officer said we have to pay taxes since this comes under settlement and we should have filled out goods to follow. We did not know about that since, we thought we have to fill at the border and the Visa Officer did not mention this as well.

I would like to know if there is any way we would get a refund or if there is some one who knows about this who can help us. We spent nearly 2k on this. I would like to know if we were incorrectly charged for this.

Your help or advice is really appreciated. Thank you.

1. The CBSA officer was incorrect.
2. Read the following instructions: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html
3. You should discuss it with CBSA.