+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status while waiting for LMIA decision

hamiu1994

Sep 11, 2019
i am done school in Jun 2019, and my co-op wp still valid until end of Sep 2019. my co-op work permit allow me to work fulltime. and my employer already apply LMIA for me and i will be no more status in canada after sep 30, 2019.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
i am done school in Jun 2019, and my co-op wp still valid until end of Sep 2019. my co-op work permit allow me to work fulltime. and my employer already apply LMIA for me and i will be no more status in canada after sep 30, 2019.
Your co-op work permit DOES NOT allow you to work full-time. It is only valid for work done during actual co-op terms while studying.

After finishing your studies, you were allowed to work 20 hours a week until you received written confirmation of graduation. As you finished school about 3 months ago, I'm going to assume you received confirmation awhile ago. Since that point, you have been working illegally.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
even-thought my co-op work permit still valid till end of this month?
Again, it is only valid to work actual co-op terms during your studies. As you have been working illegally, you can expect a refusal for a visitor or work permit app. Why did you not apply for a PGWP?

angi0311

May 13, 2024
thank you so much, the Implied status make me really confused, some pp told me i am allow to work until they make decision for my LMIA some pp also told me i cant go to work while waiting for LMIA and the implied status is for someone who had the LMIA before and now they apply for new LMIA so they can extension their wp right?
i feel that i am in a similar situation with you. were you able to resolve this? were you able to keep working after receiving the LMIA but before receiving your new work permit?

angi0311

May 13, 2024
Yes, i was looking at different threads and found this. I was trying to research some more since policies keep changing. This is a copy of what I found out from IRCC for reference. Though I informed them that I am on a study permit.

"If you are ready to submit a work permit application and are still waiting for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ), you may submit the work permit application only within 2 weeks of the expiry date of your work permit and include proof that the LMIA/CAQ request was made.

When submitting your application, please:
  • Include a copy of the application sent to Employment and Social Development Canada / Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI), or
  • Include a copy of the receipt confirmation number, if the request was done online, or
  • Indicate, in section Details of Intended Work in Canada of the Work Permit application,
    • the date the LMIA/CAQ request was sent,
    • which office it was sent to,
    • the employer’s name, and
    • the confirmation number for the submission, if available.
Please contact our Client Support Centre with the LMIA/CAQ confirmation number within 2 months of the reception date of your application."

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, i was looking at different threads and found this. I was trying to research some more since policies keep changing. This is a copy of what I found out from IRCC for reference. Though I informed them that I am on a study permit.

"If you are ready to submit a work permit application and are still waiting for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ), you may submit the work permit application only within 2 weeks of the expiry date of your work permit and include proof that the LMIA/CAQ request was made.

When submitting your application, please:
  • Include a copy of the application sent to Employment and Social Development Canada / Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI), or
  • Include a copy of the receipt confirmation number, if the request was done online, or
  • Indicate, in section Details of Intended Work in Canada of the Work Permit application,
    • the date the LMIA/CAQ request was sent,
    • which office it was sent to,
    • the employer’s name, and
    • the confirmation number for the submission, if available.
Please contact our Client Support Centre with the LMIA/CAQ confirmation number within 2 months of the reception date of your application."
So what type of work permit are you on?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
currently on a study permit. tho i read your earlier reply regarding this so i'm a bit confused
So you are not on a work permit. You are on a study permit. Once your LMIA is approved, you apply for a closed work permit. You can work once permit is approved.

Reactions: YVR123