+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration to Canada with criminal records?

Sidm786

Dec 30, 2020
What job she has now is irrelevant. All that matters is how IRCC will assess the spent conviction against Canadian criminal law.

This is a complex / unique question and I certainly can't answer it. I think it's highly unlikely you are going to get a definitive answer on this forum. I think your friend should get a consultation with a good Canadian immigration lawyer. If your friend does not have the funds for a consultation, then she'll just need to make the decision herself on whether she rolls the dice, tries coming to Canada, and sees what happens.

I can't comment on working as a lawyer in Canada. Criminal convictions are obviously a problem. I don't know how they look at spent convictions and whether this will be a bar to entering that occupation. Suggest checking with the Canadian Bar Association or someone similar like that. This part of your question isn't immigration related.

Right, thank you so much for your time!

Sidm786

Dec 30, 2020
What job she has now is irrelevant. All that matters is how IRCC will assess the spent conviction against Canadian criminal law.

This is a complex / unique question and I certainly can't answer it. I think it's highly unlikely you are going to get a definitive answer on this forum. I think your friend should get a consultation with a good Canadian immigration lawyer. If your friend does not have the funds for a consultation, then she'll just need to make the decision herself on whether she rolls the dice, tries coming to Canada, and sees what happens.

I can't comment on working as a lawyer in Canada. Criminal convictions are obviously a problem. I don't know how they look at spent convictions and whether this will be a bar to entering that occupation. Suggest checking with the Canadian Bar Association or someone similar like that. This part of your question isn't immigration related.
Just wanted to know would you suggest we wait for another year before she applies for a study permit or PR through express entry? Also, how long does a criminal rehab application take to get processed or does it come down to which visa office is handling the application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just wanted to know would you suggest we wait for another year before she applies for a study permit or PR through express entry? Also, how long does a criminal rehab application take to get processed or does it come down to which visa office is handling the application?
I've seen rehab applications take anywhere from a few months to over a year.

For the rest of your questions, I'm not an immigration lawyer. I don't have the knowledge or qualifications to provide this advice.