+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration lost my FBI clearance certificate ....anyone else???

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island, New York
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
Okay, I sent my FBI clearance certificate with my original application in January.

I have all sorts of evidence of this, which at this point I'm glad to have only to prove I haven't gone completely loco: 1) a Xerox of it; 2) my receipt showing I paid the US government for the clearance; 3) also the application checklist mentioning it was included, my application cover letter mentioning it was included, and the letter from Buffalo acknowledging receipt of the application, with only one thing -- medicals -- missing, nothing else missing.

Months have passed.

And the New York visa office told me today that the FBI clearance is missing; that Buffalo made no note of it; and that I have to send an entirely NEW FBI clearance to them ASAP.

This means I have to pay the FBI again -- and wait a few extra months. And since I'm living in Nova Scotia now -- awaiting a renewal of my visitors' record -- I'm not even sure how I can get the ball rolling anytime soon on a new FBI certificate.

I'm really really frustrated.

This happen to anyone else?

PS: My medicals were also lost somehow between the DMP in Halifax, Ottawa, and NYC, but that's a whole other matter. Harrumph.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I feel your pain. After 6 months I'm still waiting for my FBI report.

diddagirl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bonacker- that is really frustrating! I would reccommend sending a case specific inquire via email to New York and let them know that you HAVE a photocopy of the FBI report and are willing to submit that and proof of payment, as requesting another FBI cert will cause considerable delays. I recall seeing someone else in this situation and they accepted the photocopy, or magically "found" the original somewhere at the CIC office.

As for the medicals...

I would contact your DMP to first get verification of when it was sent.
Next, I would fax Ottawa at both 613-941-9528 and 613-954-8653, to inquire if they have recieved your medicals and if so to please forward them to New York asap. Have you contacted either your DMP or Ottawa yet?

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
Thanks, DiddaGirl!

I did actually already send the "Case-specific" enquiry to NY. the first two email attempts --- on their automated email system -- were returned as "undeliverable." (it's an automatic email generated by THEIR consulate website, so i wasn't mistyping in the address or anything. i wasn't even typing in an email address at all. their system just wasn't working. yay. not.). finally, on the third day the email got thru, and they replied and said, sorry, that they MUST have an original FBI certificate, my Xerox and payment receipt won't help. i can't believe it.

I contacted the DMP months and months ago to make sure they'd sent everything to Ottawa -- i double-checked that everything was supposedly okay because the DMP'd completely messed up the forms initially (stapled my photos to the wrong forms, returned the wrong forms to me, etc) -- and the DMP did insist everything was A-okay and peachy keen and off to Ottawa way back in February.

I faxed Ottawa earlier today. I should have faxed them months ago, when I first realized the DMP was out to lunch.

wmaitner

Star Member
Mar 30, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just a side question, but how long after they charged you for your FBI clearance til you got the clearance back?

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
I had to send the payment WITH the form applying for the background check, to the FBI/Department of Justice.

I got back the clearance certificate in about 2 months.

I understand that now people are waiting much longer for FBI clearances????

wmaitner

Star Member
Mar 30, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just wondered because I sent my payment in in the form of a credit card slip, and they just charged me.. Sent in April 2nd and it was charged on May 11th.. Just wondering when I should expect my letter from them..

I

iarblue

Send in the photo copy with proof of payment plus letter explaining the situation the peolpe that answert thoseemails are looking in a rule bookgiving you the answer.The ones who make the decision will likely accep it.
Dont rely on people or emails from them as those are answered at a totally different office than the persons doing the actualdecision.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
I agree, you might as well send what you have with an explaination. Worse case, you'll have to resend another original, but you have a chance that they will accept the copy under the circumstances. It's worth a try. Sorry that this is happening to you!

*Sofia*

Oct 4, 2011
On the FBI site there is now an option for using FBI approved Channelers to request your FBI Certificate. It is much faster.
Does anyone know if this is a valid option? Apparently it provides the same information, but is not authenticated. Any information about it would be much appreciated ::)