+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration and DUI

Fuzu

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
6 months ago I was at an office party. Rarely do I drink but had 3-4 drinks that night and got stopped on the way home for doing 70 in a 60 zone. They did a routine breathalyzer and I was convicted with impaired driving over the limit ( over 0.08 )

I know it's a serious offence however the officer on scene along with some lawyers I spoke to who specializes in DUI confirmed for first time offence it is 100% NOT a criminal charge and does not go on your criminal record ONLY in Alberta, Canada. They gave me an administrative penalty ( harsh consequences, I deserve it) under the traffic safety Act.

Other provinces in Canada might charge you criminally under Criminal code of Canada for 1st offence. But not in the province of Alberta unless something more serious happens like killing someone while impaired or 2nd offence. However the consequences ( losing driving privileges, hefty fines ) are similar.

Since it is not a criminal record, will it affect my immigration? Any one had a similar experience?

Everything I worked for my entire life has potentially been ruined by that one night.

I don't expect sympathy; I understand the gravity of my actions and take full responsibility. I'm grappling with the consequences and the impact on my life, expressing sincere remorse for letting myself, my parents, and others down.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BC has a similar program, but it is apparently up to the officer to decide. A person can be issued an immediate roadside prohibition, or charged with a traditional DUI. Are you saying that in Alberta anyone/everyone gets a `slap on the wrist', per se, compared to the consequences for a true DUi charge?

There has been a lot of discussion on why such a lenient option is available, but if it helps deter people from driving while impaired (a second time), it must be a good thing in the long run. It sounds like you own what happened and I truly hope that it works out for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuzu

Fuzu

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
Thank you for your response

In Alberta too, it’s up to the officer. Usually if there are no aggravating factors you are not charged criminally. But 2nd or repeated offence with no aggravating factors might get you charged.

BC has a similar program, but it is apparently up to the officer to decide. A person can be issued an immediate roadside prohibition, or charged with a traditional DUI. Are you saying that in Alberta anyone/everyone gets a `slap on the wrist', per se, compared to the consequences for a true DUi charge?

There has been a lot of discussion on why such a lenient option is available, but if it helps deter people from driving while impaired (a second time), it must be a good thing in the long run. It sounds like you own what happened and I truly hope that it works out for you.