+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating as RN/NP

hawescaro

Oct 2, 2021
Over the next year or three my family (husband and toddler) are hoping to immigrate to Ontario or maybe Quebec. My husband and I are both nurses, however I’m in a nurse practitioner program and hopefully will graduate before moving.
My questions are regarding the cost of immigration for a family, taxes, and which graduate degrees in nursing are most valuable in Canada. I recognize that the last question will be difficult to answer for those who are not in the nursing field, but any response will be appreciated.
Would my husband have to apply for citizenship as well, or by me applying and moving to Canada grant him citizenship since we are married? On one of the websites I was looking at it mentioned that one’s immediate family was able to come with them upon moving. Would I need to submit an application for my toddler? About how much would it cost for citizenship if we are both in the skilled worker class?
Would the immigration process be different if I were to keep working in the U.S. but became an citizen of Canada? Would my wages be taxed for Canada & the U.S.? The cost of us both getting our Canadian nursing licenses, paying what each providence requires (Ontario has you take another test just to be able to work there) and any other fees are looking to be expensive. Also, I have certifications that I have earned and paid for in the U.S. that I would like to keep. We are toying with the idea of working in Buffalo or Vermont, but living in Canada.
Lastly, I am in an acute care gerontology nurse practitioner program, but I will be getting a family nurse practitioner certificate, which will let me work as a primary care provider. However, I would rather not get the certificate since I am more passionate about critical care and it is adding an extra 6 months into my program. Would Canada accept my masters degree in that field, or should I get a family nurse practitioner degree with an acute care certificate? I have read various things online that support each option.
Thank you for your time!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Over the next year or three my family (husband and toddler) are hoping to immigrate to Ontario or maybe Quebec. My husband and I are both nurses, however I’m in a nurse practitioner program and hopefully will graduate before moving.
My questions are regarding the cost of immigration for a family, taxes, and which graduate degrees in nursing are most valuable in Canada. I recognize that the last question will be difficult to answer for those who are not in the nursing field, but any response will be appreciated.
Would my husband have to apply for citizenship as well, or by me applying and moving to Canada grant him citizenship since we are married? On one of the websites I was looking at it mentioned that one’s immediate family was able to come with them upon moving. Would I need to submit an application for my toddler? About how much would it cost for citizenship if we are both in the skilled worker class?
Would the immigration process be different if I were to keep working in the U.S. but became an citizen of Canada? Would my wages be taxed for Canada & the U.S.? The cost of us both getting our Canadian nursing licenses, paying what each providence requires (Ontario has you take another test just to be able to work there) and any other fees are looking to be expensive. Also, I have certifications that I have earned and paid for in the U.S. that I would like to keep. We are toying with the idea of working in Buffalo or Vermont, but living in Canada.
Lastly, I am in an acute care gerontology nurse practitioner program, but I will be getting a family nurse practitioner certificate, which will let me work as a primary care provider. However, I would rather not get the certificate since I am more passionate about critical care and it is adding an extra 6 months into my program. Would Canada accept my masters degree in that field, or should I get a family nurse practitioner degree with an acute care certificate? I have read various things online that support each option.
Thank you for your time!
When you apply to immigrate, you get permanent resident status, not citizenship. The citizenship process is completely separate (i.e. separate requirements, separate fees) and requires you to live in Canada for several years after you become permanent residents before you will qualify to apply.

When applying for permanent residency (PR), one of you will be the primary applicant and the other spouse will be included in the application as a dependent along with your child. For three people, I would budget around $3-4K for all of the application fees, language test, medicals, education certificates, etc. you'll need to do Separately, you'll need to show you have savings of at least $20,000 to cover your settlement expenses in Canada. I can't comments on the nursing certification fees. Those will be completely separate and above & beyond the fees you pay to immigrate.

You don't say what citizenship you hold. However assume you are American / US passport holder, you have the privilege of having to file US taxes for life regardless of where you are living. So if you are living in Canada but working in the US, you will file taxes in both countries.

I don't understand this question: "Would the immigration process be different if I were to keep working in the U.S. but became an citizen of Canada?"

Have you determined how you will qualify to immigrate? If not, strongly recommend that you dedicate time to researching the Express Entry program since this is most likely how you would apply. This is a points-based system where those with the highest scores are selected out of the pool of applicants.

hawescaro

Oct 2, 2021
Thank you so much for the clarification! It’s hard to read information online and determine if it’s applicable or the appropriate course of action for my situation.
It is unfortunate news to know that I’ll be paying taxes to the U.S. for life, but I’m grateful you told me before Uncle Sam surprises me about his cut later.
I was hoping to live in Ontario and commute to Buffalo for work, as I’ve read that some Canadians have jobs in the U.S. This is to avoid paying the extra money for Canadian nursing licenses and such, which from what I have found can be about $2000- 3000 CAD. If I did go this route, how would it impact my application to immigrate, or would I need to have a Canadian job lined up first? It seems that I’d be paying double taxes regardless, but it may be more cost effective to get my Canadian nursing licenses.
We do qualify for the Express Entry program. I have read that the immigration process should be started about a year before the planned date of moving. Would you agree with this in this situation? I don’t know how ‘express’ the Express Entry program is.
Thank you again for your expertise and time to answer my questions!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much for the clarification! It’s hard to read information online and determine if it’s applicable or the appropriate course of action for my situation.
It is unfortunate news to know that I’ll be paying taxes to the U.S. for life, but I’m grateful you told me before Uncle Sam surprises me about his cut later.
I was hoping to live in Ontario and commute to Buffalo for work, as I’ve read that some Canadians have jobs in the U.S. This is to avoid paying the extra money for Canadian nursing licenses and such, which from what I have found can be about $2000- 3000 CAD. If I did go this route, how would it impact my application to immigrate, or would I need to have a Canadian job lined up first? It seems that I’d be paying double taxes regardless, but it may be more cost effective to get my Canadian nursing licenses.
We do qualify for the Express Entry program. I have read that the immigration process should be started about a year before the planned date of moving. Would you agree with this in this situation? I don’t know how ‘express’ the Express Entry program is.
Qualifying for Express Entry is different from having enough points for an invitation. What is your CRS score? You want at least 470+. To be licensed as nurses your first needs your degree and work experience assessed throught NNAS. That takes about a year. Then you look at provincial licensing for Ontario.

Last edited:

Brady_Bryant

Nov 6, 2020
As it relates to taxes, there are only 2 countries in the world that impose taxes on their citizens regardless of where they live: US and Eritrea. You will have to file taxes on both countries but you will get credit for what you pay in Canada and pay the balance to Uncle Sam