+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IM OUTSIDE CANADA AT THE MOMENT, NEED HELP ABOUT THE LIVING EXP, JOB MARKET ETC

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jalex23 said:
OK I will say it.
I think the way you "asked for help" from me was rude. Therefore just pretend my info is irrelevant and carry on.
Hope now it is clear.
I merely asked questions. You didn't answer. What is clear, Sir/Madame, is that you have no answers.

Giving false hopes to new immigrants is not a nice thing to do. FYI.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Great! I am sure you can give me some practical advise.

try reading this...
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141126161527-52594-follow-these-steps-to-get-your-next-job?trk=mp-reader-card

First, when did you immigrate to Canada? Was it before or after 2009/recession?
landed labor day weekend 2014

If you immigrated when job market was healthy (as it used to be in US), then your advise would be irrelevant today.
But if your experience is relatively recent, I have some more questions to ask.

Assuming your timeline refers to your landing (06/2014), please kindly tell:

1. What was the first job you were hired for?
receptionist at real estate company. also had seasonal retail job
2. How exactly did you apply for it?
real estate - job was posted on kijiji, i sent in my resume and leveraged my previous experience with brokerage in us to get interview. retail: word of mouth. husband worked with husband of manager. she was hiring, i was looking, my resume was hand delivered.

3. What was the next, "better" job you applied for and got hired?
a permanent part time job at a local college
4. How exactly did you apply for it?
received job posting from job counselor at lasi world skills by email. i put together the applicaiton, sent it to her, she submitted it, then i was called in for an interview weeks later. was able to use references from first jobs.

5. What job do you have now?
have 2 part time jobs that = 33 hrs. week/plus overtime opportunities. i get paid over min. wage, on the low end of my ideal. both have wage increases after 90 days. the retail job was min wage ($11/hr in ontaro)

6. How exactly did you apply for it?
see above
When I ask "How exactly did you apply for it?", I mean where did you search for a job? How did you find out about it? How did you apply for it (online, in person)?
see above
Thank you.
your welcome

ps... i have over 10 years of experience in different industries, a bachelor degree in communication studies and an MBA from the US. unfortunately, none of that really mattered in my canadian job search.

Jalex23 said:
I would say that once you are a PR everything else is quite straight forward. You start with any job, then move to a decent job, then move to a good job. Patience and hard work is the key.
totally agree. it needs to be accepted that when you move to a new country, you basically start from 0. unless you have a specific skill that employers desparately need, every applicant is a dime a dozen, and it takes a lot of hustling to get a job. it takes unemployed canadians at least 6-8 months to get a new full time job. a person with out canadian references and experience certainly will not get a full time job in less time. sometimes you have to do a job you don't want to do, getting paid less than you want to be paid so you can work your way into your ideal position.

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First, when did you immigrate to Canada? Was it before or after 2009/recession?

We landed in Jan 2011, but returned to our home country and then moved back in June 2011 when I had secured a job.

If you immigrated when job market was healthy (as it used to be in US), then your advise would be irrelevant today.
But if your experience is relatively recent, I have some more questions to ask.

Assuming your timeline refers to your landing (06/2014), please kindly tell:

1. What was the first job you were hired for?

Process engineer at a petrochemical plant in Manitoba

2. How exactly did you apply for it?

Recruiter found me via monster.ca

3. What was the next, "better" job you applied for and got hired?

Same field, different company, located in Alberta.

4. How exactly did you apply for it?

Submitted an online application. Also helped that a former colleague worked there and was able to serve as a reference in the online application.

5. What job do you have now?

Related field, but in a different petrochemical process - same city in Alberta.

6. How exactly did you apply for it?

Online through a job posting on indeed.ca. No references this time.

When I ask "How exactly did you apply for it?", I mean where did you search for a job? How did you find out about it? How did you apply for it (online, in person)?

I checked indeed.ca about once a week, only applied to jobs which appeared relevant. Before landing my current job, I had another offer from a company in Sarnia, but chose this one since didn't require relocation.

Both my undergrad and grad degrees are from the US, which certainly helped in the P.Eng process. I also worked in the US for a couple of years between degrees.

Not sure if it helps in your case, but until I had secured my first job, I was fully intent on moving here permanently and starting an MBA in Ontario. I had applied and obtained admission in York and McMaster for their part-time MBA - the rationale being that I could keep the tuition costs low and with support from savings and maybe odd/survival jobs keep things going until something came along. If a potential recruiter would ask what I was doing, I could point towards the MBA to indicate personal/professional development, which would (at least in my mind) avoid a gap in my resume.

Thank you.

smak02

Star Member
Feb 5, 2015
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2012
Med's Request
20-08-2014
Med's Done....
01-09-2014, second: 28-02-2016
Passport Req..
16-03-2016
LANDED..........
26-10-2016
sidhuhyderabad said:
OMG so bad condition overthere, i got 3 of my college friends, they were very good untill they were in my country, after landing in canada, they just vanished, they are ignoring me, so selfish world, however life should go on, we should not depend others
Don't be afraid. Those who leave India, for sure most of them do not back to India. You will not be disappointed. But it takes time to get your desire living style. Good luck

vish.777

Aug 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi --> WARSAW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/10/2014
Nomination.....
PER 25/01/2015
AOR Received.
Warsaw on 10/02/2015
File Transfer...
[b][size=12pt]Bought a Frying Pan :p
Med's Request
05/05/2015
Med's Done....
12/05/2015
Interview........
[b][color=goldenrod] DM - 23/05/2015
Passport Req..
[color=coral][b]27/05/2015
VISA ISSUED...
[color=teal][b]20/05/2015 as per COPR, PP received on 12/06/2015
sidhuhyderabad said:
OMG so bad condition overthere, i got 3 of my college friends, they were very good untill they were in my country, after landing in canada, they just vanished, they are ignoring me, so selfish world, however life should go on, we should not depend others
True bro!

It is a good thought not to rely on others for your survival, at the end of day, if you are successful for your own efforts you will be proud of yourself. But if people do not help you or ignore you, that shouldn't affect how YOU want to deal with others who need help.

I think they should atleast let you know if they wish/can help you but circumstances won't allow to.

I have faced this, been in UK for 4 years and I had achieved a good amount of success but am back to starting from 0 in Canada (hopefully in few months from now).
I have learnt a lot of lessons in those 4 years, for my good. And I will put those lessons learnt into practice and hope will break-through the odds in Canada.
BTW am from Hyderabad too (assuming you are too from your profile name).