+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I'M CANADIAN HUSBANDS AMERICAN

eureeka

Nov 16, 2009
We are recently married and he lives in washington state, I'm in BC canada. What we want to know is when we send the application for sponsorship in do we have to wait for him to come here when it's all been processed? it says the sponsorship section takes 29 days on the website. Can he come over when that's all done and wait for permanent residency while living with me in canada? and about how long does processing take in total? Please anybody that's been through this process and has answers would be greatly appreciated!

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On a nut shell I feel by reading this forum post the whole process takes between 4-7months depends all your paper works are complete and submitted at the same time. If they request for any paper ..it will delay the process.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Oh boy - you still need a lot of information. First of all, it takes a lot longer than 29 days to process an application for permanent residence. That's just the first step of the process, where the processing office in Canada determines whether the sponsor is eligible to sponsor their partner. After that the application will go to the embassy in Buffalo where they will assess your husband's application. That takes from 5-10 months.

You were eligible to submit the application as soon as you were legally married - whether he can come to Canada while it's being processed depends on quite a few factors, but you should be aware that he will not be allowed to work or go to school, and he probably will not be eligible for healthcare benefits until after PR is approved.

I would suggest that you read through the US2Canada website - it's not a CIC website, but it is designed to help point US spousal applicants and their sponsors to resources and information about the PR process. There is a pretty extensive bit of information about the requirements and procedures for bringing a spouse from the US into Canada to wait out the PR process at the "Visiting" tab . . . read through all the info there, including the stuff about "Visitor Records".

eureeka

Nov 16, 2009
RobsLuv said:
Oh boy - you still need a lot of information. First of all, it takes a lot longer than 29 days to process an application for permanent residence. That's just the first step of the process, where the processing office in Canada determines whether the sponsor is eligible to sponsor their partner. After that the application will go to the embassy in Buffalo where they will assess your husband's application. That takes from 5-10 months.

You were eligible to submit the application as soon as you were legally married - whether he can come to Canada while it's being processed depends on quite a few factors, but you should be aware that he will not be allowed to work or go to school, and he probably will not be eligible for healthcare benefits until after PR is approved.................... Thank-You for your help! that website is a lot more helpful! cic.gc.ca has been helpful too but very confusing

I would suggest that you read through the US2Canada website - it's not a CIC website, but it is designed to help point US spousal applicants and their sponsors to resources and information about the PR process. There is a pretty extensive bit of information about the requirements and procedures for bringing a spouse from the US into Canada to wait out the PR process at the "Visiting" tab . . . read through all the info there, including the stuff about "Visitor Records".