+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

im a immigrant here in canada, but i want to study in other country,

sherielyn

Feb 21, 2009
i want to study in the philippines but im just an immigrant here in canada,,can i stay there for long or do i have to go back in canada for a certain time. and it is going to affect my status here in canada,,, need help, thanks..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are a PR in Canada, you need to stay in Canada at least 730 days in any 5 year period. That means you can be gone for up to 3 years if you stayed the previous 2 years in Canada and will stay the next 2 years in Canada after you come back.

energy168

Mar 21, 2008
I kind of sense that you are not really hot on migrating to Canada. Why? First, if you are serious about it, then you would study in Canada. There is no point studying in the Philippines when its education is not recognized in Canada. Why get an education there and then go back to Canada? It just does not make sense. Second, if you are serious about it, then you would be finding ways to complete your stay in Canada as soon as possible in order to get citizenship status.

In the end, you have to decide what you really are after. Stay in your country or move to Canada?

swents8

Feb 2, 2009
Leon said:
If you are a PR in Canada, you need to stay in Canada at least 730 days in any 5 year period. That means you can be gone for up to 3 years if you stayed the previous 2 years in Canada and will stay the next 2 years in Canada after you come back.
precisely, well explained

sherielyn

Feb 21, 2009
but in saskatchewan they hire nurses that came from the philippines, and CANADA dont recognized school from other country, how come?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sherielyn said:
but in saskatchewan they hire nurses that came from the philippines, and CANADA dont recognized school from other country, how come?
They do recognize nurses from other countries but they need to take a test to be allowed to work.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
how long is the nursing degree in Philipines?

Can't the OP leave now and come back 5 months prior to the 5 years are over and still retain PR or the OP could come back during vacation time and spend 5 months in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, she could. She only needs to make sure that she's never more than 3 years total outside Canada in a 5 year period including all vacations etc.

If the school year is 9 months, she could manage a 4 year course without losing her PR if she comes back 3 months a year in the summer or if she has been in Canada a solid 1 year and 7 months when she leaves, no vacations, she could be gone 3 years exactly but then she needs to come back for 2 years.

mukeshmech

Dec 8, 2009
How can a PR holder 18 year older, study MBBS 5 years in India and maintain PR... Will mother taking Canadian citizenship and showing student is financially dependent on mother help,? Any permission to be taken by Canadian education system,?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How can a PR holder 18 year older, study MBBS 5 years in India and maintain PR... Will mother taking Canadian citizenship and showing student is financially dependent on mother help,? Any permission to be taken by Canadian education system,?
The short answer is that there is no way they can do this.

If they complete 5 years of studies outside of Canada, they won't meet the residency obligation and there will be a significant risk of losing PR.

No, the mother taking Canadian citizenship and showing the student is financially dependent won't help. By the time the student completes their studies, they will be 23 years old and an independent adult in IRCC's eyes.

No, there is no way to get permission.

If they pursue the 5 year program outside of Canada, they must be prepared for the possibility they may lose PR.

If they don't want to lose PR, then the studies should be completed in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also add that it is very difficult to get licensed as an IMG. What type of physician do you want to be? In certain specialties it is almost impossible. Are you going to try to get selected for a residency in Canada? Not meeting RO is one issue but if you study medicine abroad you must do so knowing there is a good chance you may not be able to get license and work in Canada.