+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Illegally residing in the US and could use some advice

pereslz

Mar 18, 2020
I'm currently residing in the US undocumented and I'm not sure what to do. I'm a junior in high school and as things are getting rocky in the US concerning the current political situation, my future here seems pretty bleak. I was brought to the US from Mexico by my parents when I was 3 years old (not through an overstayed visa) and have lived here pretty much since. I was sadly unable to apply for DACA before the program was modified to no longer accept initial applicants so I will not have protection from being deported by the time I turn 18. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to live in a country undocumented any longer and I was looking towards Canada to hopefully start fresh. I am interested in studying there and then seeing what my options are but I just don't know where to start. I could use some advice as I don't really know what my options are at this point.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm currently residing in the US undocumented and I'm not sure what to do. I'm a junior in high school and as things are getting rocky in the US concerning the current political situation, my future here seems pretty bleak. I was brought to the US from Mexico by my parents when I was 3 years old (not through an overstayed visa) and have lived here pretty much since. I was sadly unable to apply for DACA before the program was modified to no longer accept initial applicants so I will not have protection from being deported by the time I turn 18. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to live in a country undocumented any longer and I was looking towards Canada to hopefully start fresh. I am interested in studying there and then seeing what my options are but I just don't know where to start. I could use some advice as I don't really know what my options are at this point.
No options for Canada anytime soon. Your illegal status in the US pretty much guarantees you will be denied for any form of temporary residency. You would have to focus on qualifying to immigrate, which requires higher education, skilled work experience, high language scores etc.

pereslz

Mar 18, 2020
No options for Canada anytime soon. Your illegal status in the US pretty much guarantees you will be denied for any form of temporary residency. You would have to focus on qualifying to immigrate, which requires higher education, skilled work experience, high language scores etc.
Is there any way I can study there like qualify for a student visa?

pereslz

Mar 18, 2020
You should really read up on the process and requirements for a study permit. Unlike applying for a driver's license, it's not an easy or simple feat.
I have read up on applying for a student visa and I understand it's a complicated process. I've looked on different websites and I understand the general procedure (applying and getting accepted to a university, applying for visa, showing proof of being able to financially support yourself, getting biometrics, showing proof that one will leave after the visa expires, etc). the reason I'm asking is if my situation specifically will require any additional steps or will somehow prevent me from getting approved all together. For example, due to my status of not entering the country legally (no overstayed visa), will I have to return to my country of origin during the process or can I apply for one from the US (things like that).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have read up on applying for a student visa and I understand it's a complicated process. I've looked on different websites and I understand the general procedure (applying and getting accepted to a university, applying for visa, showing proof of being able to financially support yourself, getting biometrics, showing proof that one will leave after the visa expires, etc). the reason I'm asking is if my situation specifically will require any additional steps or will somehow prevent me from getting approved all together. For example, due to my status of not entering the country legally (no overstayed visa), will I have to return to my country of origin during the process or can I apply for one from the US (things like that).
You’d have to return to your home country and get reestablished for at least a few years to attempt to qualify. The fact that your parents didn’t respect the immigration rules makes you a higher risk of not following the immigration rules and not returning to Mexico.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is there any way I can study there like qualify for a student visa?
No chance of a study permit. It will be automatically refused due to your status in the US. To be approved for a study permit, you need to show strong ties to your home country which you cannot do.

As said above, any temporary visa (study, work, visitor) is going to be refused.

You really have two options. One is to return to your home country, live there for a number of years to re-establish ties and then apply for a study permit.

The other option is to wait it out several more years in the US until you have higher education (preferably a Masters) and a few years of work experience and can qualify to apply for permanent residency to Canada through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

Unfortunately you really don't have any realistic options for coming to Canada right now.