+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If Wife Not Approved For PRTD, Is Visa Required for Her to Accompany Me Into Canada?

CanuckBoy

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Per the current travel guidelines, Canadian citizens and their immediate family are permitted entry into Canada. Both of my kids have Canadian passports but my wife's original PR card is expired as I've been working outside of Canada for close to 10 years. We have a PRTD that expires in August but unsure if it will be safe to travel by then but our plan is to move back to Canada.

If her PRTD lapses and we re-apply next year and for any reason denied, based on the above is a travel visa needed to be secured in advance and if so, how long can she "legally" stay in Canada?

The plan would be to re-apply for PR if needed at that point. Any insights appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If her PRTD lapses and we re-apply next year and for any reason denied, based on the above is a travel visa needed to be secured in advance and if so, how long can she "legally" stay in Canada?
Note that as a PR, her ability to enter Canada is not dependent upon immediate family exemption.

A new PRTD would be needed to board a plane to Canada after the current one expires. Entry through USA land border possible without PRTD/current PR card.

If a new PRTD is denied, it would typically occur with a decision to revoke the PR status (which could be appealed or she could renounce the status).

And yes, afterwards she would need a visa or ETA. With that, like any visitor she could stay for the usual period allowed at border (eg six months) and you could apply to sponsor, extend her stay, etc. No guarantee a visa would be issued which could require you to sponsor her while she is abroad.

I note this with no knowledge of whether there would be a reason that a PRTD would be denied (i.e. whether circumstances under which she was previously issued as accompanying you while you worked abroad or regulations/positions regarding issuance have changed). It's possible it would be relatively simple to get a new PRTD, I don't know.

I'm sure there are other considerations, but if you are planning to move to Canada as a family in near term, you'd have less uncertainty if you were able to return before the current PRTD expires.

CanuckBoy

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok thanks - we've been issued PRTD's before and used each one, this would be the first we may be unable> In the application we indicated the plan was to re-locate but the increased case count and lack of vaccines in the country we're currently in (along with the new rules requiring us to stay at a gov't approved hotel for thousands) are giving me pause.

Agree, if we could travel by Aug it would be ideal, just nervous with the way things trending that may not be safe. May have to roll dice and if PRTD expires, apply again and please humanatarian grounds.

Appreciate it.

Note that as a PR, her ability to enter Canada is not dependent upon immediate family exemption.

A new PRTD would be needed to board a plane to Canada after the current one expires. Entry through USA land border possible without PRTD/current PR card.

If a new PRTD is denied, it would typically occur with a decision to revoke the PR status (which could be appealed or she could renounce the status).

And yes, afterwards she would need a visa or ETA. With that, like any visitor she could stay for the usual period allowed at border (eg six months) and you could apply to sponsor, extend her stay, etc. No guarantee a visa would be issued which could require you to sponsor her while she is abroad.

I note this with no knowledge of whether there would be a reason that a PRTD would be denied (i.e. whether circumstances under which she was previously issued as accompanying you while you worked abroad or regulations/positions regarding issuance have changed). It's possible it would be relatively simple to get a new PRTD, I don't know.

I'm sure there are other considerations, but if you are planning to move to Canada as a family in near term, you'd have less uncertainty if you were able to return before the current PRTD expires.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Agree, if we could travel by Aug it would be ideal, just nervous with the way things trending that may not be safe. May have to roll dice and if PRTD expires, apply again and please humanatarian grounds.
You'll have to decide yourself of course whether preferable to manage the safety issues yourself. Hopefully things will improve enough by then that you are comfortable.

Just to flag since you're planning to move with kids: the issue for you if you have to 'roll the dice' and deal with consequences later is unpredictability and how long it may take to unwind whatever happens.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok thanks - we've been issued PRTD's before and used each one, this would be the first we may be unable> In the application we indicated the plan was to re-locate but the increased case count and lack of vaccines in the country we're currently in (along with the new rules requiring us to stay at a gov't approved hotel for thousands) are giving me pause.

Appreciate it.
Are you a Canadian citizen? If so, then your wife should have no issues getting a PRTD approved.