+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If the Principle applicant renounces PR is there any impact on PR of dependents

canadapr2022

Sep 21, 2020
I’m in Canada but do not meet the RO for renewing my PR card yet, but I have to travel to look after my ailing father and if I need to stay for longer than 6 months outside Canada I’m thinking of renouncing my PR status and getting a TRV with that I can visit my family (wife and children) here in Canada.

If I (Principle applicant) renounce the PR will there be any impact on the PR status of my family as they intend to stay here and waiting to complete RO and renew their PR cards?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I’m in Canada but do not meet the RO for renewing my PR card yet, but I have to travel to look after my ailing father and if I need to stay for longer than 6 months outside Canada I’m thinking of renouncing my PR status and getting a TRV with that I can visit my family (wife and children) here in Canada.

If I (Principle applicant) renounce the PR will there be any impact on the PR status of my family as they intend to stay here and waiting to complete RO and renew their PR cards?
1. No effect on them.
2. Note there is no guarantee that you will be issued a TRV.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

There is no rule that you must stay in Canada for over 6 months every year.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You provide few details like how far out of compliance you are, time periods since landing, etc - and based on your six month reference you may not fully understand the residency obligation. Not even clear if your card has expired.

So one key point: you should consider carefully before renouncing. Obviously if you do not plan to reside in Canada in the long term, that's one thing.

But, for example, there is some possibility you could depart to care for your father and apply for a PRTD to return, based on humane reasons (such as caring for your father, rest of family based in Canada, etc).

I'm not saying this will work and it will be difficult to get certainty in advance. But it may be preferable to renouncing and then dealing with that.

Alternatively it may indeed be preferable to renounce and apply for TRV and/or be sponsored anew by your spouse.

But either way, you should look into it carefully before deciding. You may wish to speak to a lawyer consultant with whom you can share more details - since some of these are case-by-case matters, the details can be extremely important.