+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I enter Canada with an open work permit on 11/2021 but work remotely for a foreign company in my home country, do I have to file taxes on 03/2022?

ravla

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Is the foreign salary I earned during this period considered taxable by the Canadian government?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is the foreign salary I earned during this period considered taxable by the Canadian government?
Yes. Are you legally able to work in the country where you are employed? Either a WP or have citizenship/residency?

It looks like you entered Canada on a WP. To enter you had to prove you were coming to be employed in Canada? What happened to that job?

ravla

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Yes. Are you legally able to work in the country where you are employed? Either a WP or have citizenship/residency?

It looks like you entered Canada on a WP. To enter you had to prove you were coming to be employed in Canada? What happened to that job?
Yes, I am a citizen in the country where I am currently employed. I've got an open work permit in Canada.

The confusion is, if I enter Canada on Nov/2021, then on April/2022, I will have been stayed in Canada for less than 183 day. Would I be considered to be a deemed non-resident on this tax year?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I am a citizen in the country where I am currently employed. I've got an open work permit in Canada.

The confusion is, if I enter Canada on Nov/2021, then on April/2022, I will have been stayed in Canada for less than 183 day. Would I be considered to be a deemed non-resident on this tax year?
Determining whether you are a tax resident involves more things. If you are on an SOWP has your spouse or common law been living in Canada?

ravla

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Determining whether you are a tax resident involves more things. If you are on an SOWP has your spouse or common law been living in Canada?
No, I do not hold a SOWP, I am holding an OWP, travelling alone to Canada.

Gagandeep1

Jul 24, 2018
tax year ends on 31st Dec in Canada. If you are a tax resident by that day then you have to pay tax. If you earned in Canada or intend to stay for long or established tie in Canada then you are tax resident.