+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Writing Band 7.

themaster34

Jul 9, 2018
I would just like to share my 2 cents to everyone who are struggling with writing.

I have taken the general training test thrice.

1st attempt

L/R/W/S - 6.5/6/5.5/6.5

2nd attempt

L/R/W/S - 7.5/6.5/6.5/7

3rd attempt

L/R/W/S - 8/9/7/7.5

Honestly, I felt I will have to resit again since I didn't complete my task 1 as I had only written 110 words. I even went and booked for 28th July and I was shocked to see I scored 7 band. I truly believe this is nothing but god's miracle.

After experience of taking the test 3 times, this is what I have learnt. Hope these tips helps;

1) Always do Task 2 first because it is worth more points. Do not copy-paste the essay question as your introduction. Rephrase the question using your own words and give your opinion in the introduction. Suppose the question is agree/disagree. Just clearly mention in your introduction you agree with such and such statement or you disagree. Then follow through wit supporting statements in 2 paragraphs with examples.

2) Do not repeat same words. Use synonyms. Example if you have used ridiculous in one sentence and you want to use this word again then use amusing, hysterical, preposterous etc instead.

3) Use linking words like However, moreover, furthermore etc. For supporting points use firstly, secondly, lastly etc. Also when it comes to examples, if you have already used the word example then use namely, such as, for instance etc. I feel this is the most essential tip for essay writing. Seeing such words will give you a high score in cohesive and cohesion.

4) Now coming to task 1 like me if you don't have time to write 150 words. Just make sure you answer all the points mentioned in task 1. For me there was a question about I read a book recently and I am writing a letter to a friend.

1) Why would you recommend this book to him/her?
2) Where can he find this book

there was one more point mentioned but I don't remember, made sure in those 110 words I answered all those tasks clearly. Ofcourse, you will be penalized for not completing 150 words but you still kind of answer all that was necessary to complete the task. I feel this was my saving grace otherwise I would have got another 6.5

Had I completed 150 words then maybe I could have scored a 7.5, will never know. Anyways, not worried about that. I have got the score I required so I am happy.

if you need help you can PM me :) Good luck to all

themaster34

Jul 9, 2018
I would just like to share my 2 cents to everyone who are struggling with writing.

1st attempt

L/R/W/S - 6.5/6/5.5/6.5

2nd attempt

L/R/W/S - 7.5/6.5/6.5/7

3rd attempt

L/R/W/S - 8/9/7/7.5

Honestly, I felt I will have to resit again since I didn't complete my task 1 as I had only written 110 words. I even went and booked for 28th July and I was shocked to see I scored 7 band. I truly believe this is nothing but god's miracle.

After experience of taking the test 3 times, this is what I have learnt. Hope these tips helps;

1) Always do Task 2 first because it is worth more points. Do not copy-paste the essay question as your introduction. Rephrase the question using your own words and give your opinion in the introduction. Suppose the question is agree/disagree. Just clearly mention in your introduction you agree with such and such statement or you disagree. Then follow through wit supporting statements in 2 paragraphs with examples.

2) Do not repeat same words. Use synonyms. Example if you have used ridiculous in one sentence and you want to use this word again then use amusing, hysterical, preposterous etc instead.

3) Use linking words like However, moreover, furthermore etc. For supporting points use firstly, secondly, lastly etc. Also when it comes to examples, if you have already used the word example then use namely, such as, for instance etc. I feel this is the most essential tip for essay writing. Seeing such words will give you a high score in cohesive and cohesion.

4) Now coming to task 1 like me if you don't have time to write 150 words. Just make sure you answer all the points mentioned in task 1. For me there was a question about I read a book recently and I am writing a letter to a friend.

there was one more point mentioned but I don't remember, made sure in those 110 words I answered all those tasks clearly. Ofcourse, you will be penalized for not completing 150 words but you still kind of answer all that was necessary to complete the task. I feel this was my saving grace otherwise I would have got another 6.5

Had I completed 150 words then maybe I could have scored a 7.5, will never know. Anyways, not worried about that. I have got the score I required so I am happy.

i would suggest you to work hard!!!

Jul 4, 2017

1st attempt

L/R/W/S - 6.5/6/5.5/6.5

2nd attempt

L/R/W/S - 7.5/6.5/6.5/7

3rd attempt

L/R/W/S - 8/9/7/7.5

Hi, I am glad you got the ielts score, could me suggest how to learn each type of essay techniques, i have lot of queries regarding it. please teach or guide me writing task-2, as i always lose on 6.5...thank you

tinu28111987

Nov 1, 2017

1st attempt

L/R/W/S - 6.5/6/5.5/6.5

2nd attempt

L/R/W/S - 7.5/6.5/6.5/7

3rd attempt

L/R/W/S - 8/9/7/7.5

Hey,
That's inspiring.
I have come to this forum since even I am struggling to get 7 in writing.
I received my IELTS score as L/R/S/W - 9/8.5/7/6.5 :(
This was my 3rd attempt.

I am going to again sit for IELTS next week.
I will check IELTS Liz site as you suggested.

Thanks.
Regards,
Hetal

Reactions: SithLord

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hey,
That's inspiring.
I have come to this forum since even I am struggling to get 7 in writing.
I received my IELTS score as L/R/S/W - 9/8.5/7/6.5 :(
This was my 3rd attempt.

I am going to again sit for IELTS next week.
I will check IELTS Liz site as you suggested.

Thanks.
Regards,
Hetal
Just follow the tips I mentioned. Also read through band 8 and 9 sample essays to understand their structure. Once you understand the structure of the essay it's really not that hard. Unlike the first 2 times, I was very confident when I went in for my third sitting. Despite not completing task 1 I still made band 7.

So pay very close attention to the structure of the band 9 essays, the words used etc.

Good luck

megran2017

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
Just follow the tips I mentioned. Also read through band 8 and 9 sample essays to understand their structure. Once you understand the structure of the essay it's really not that hard. Unlike the first 2 times, I was very confident when I went in for my third sitting. Despite not completing task 1 I still made band 7.

So pay very close attention to the structure of the band 9 essays, the words used etc.

Good luck
Where I can find band 9 essays.. Can you please share the link. Thx

Kj

Apr 1, 2022
One thing people often overlook is that you don't necessarily have to use new words each time to avoid repetition. Use pronouns instead. Not only does that help you avoid repetition, but it also boosts your performance for coherence and cohesion.