+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Reading – How to Improve Reading Skills

VPS123

May 10, 2012
Trivandrum, Kerala
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Over 85% of college work requires reading. Students intended to go for higher studies will need to read more and more books. It may not be possible for most of the students to buy all the required books and read. Hence they go for other alternative such as going to libraries or use internet. In all these contexts, students have to read as quickly as possible and comprehend what all they have read, only then they can perform better in their chosen field. To assess these reading and comprehending skills of a candidate, reading module is included in IELTS.

Improving reading skills is most important for a candidate to perform better in IELTS reading. No matter what reading level you may be at the present time, you can improve your skills by increasing your reading speed as well as your level of comprehension. The following are few simple but important tips that help you improve your reading skills:

1. Make a habit of reading regularly. Read as many English books, newspapers and magazines as you can get your hands on.

2. When reading, learn to fixate on a larger group of words at a time. As a matter of fact, people often tend to fixate on one word at a time which makes reading slow and dull. The best way to improve reading is to pick up a large group of words (say about four or five) at a time; also avoid fixating on insignificant words like a, or, the, or, an etc.

3. Set aside a regular time to read. Studies show that regularly reading will produce significant gains in reading comprehension, vocabulary, and the decoding of words. For this you may require quite a good amount of time. Hence, before applying for IELTS, ensure that you have sufficient time for preparation.

4. Avoid lip movement while reading. It is a negative practice that tends to slow down your eye movement and thereby reduce your reading speed. Make your eyes and mind work more and minimize the usage of your mouth and lips. This will greatly enhance your reading speed.

5. Practice reading for at least 30 minutes a day, this will certainly improve your reading speed. Each time you practice, check your word count i.e. the number of words you had read in a minute. Simultaneously, analyze you comprehending skills by summarizing what you have read. Further, your chief objective is to read faster while improving comprehending skills hence use same type of reading material that provides consistency necessary for sensible practice.

6. Build a good vocabulary by keeping a dictionary handy, maintaining a list of new words, and knowing the origin of words.

7. Broaden your knowledge on various subjects by reading newspapers, journals, magazines, books, and using internet. You are not sure on what subject or topic you may get a reading passage in the IELTS exam, hence it is better to get acquainted with a wide range of subjects.

8. Finally, remember that you are reading for a purpose. So your primary focus must be on that specific purpose and how to do it quickly. If you lose interest take a break. Your efficiency greatly reduces upon reaching saturation point. Hence a shot break is absolutely essential. This simple technique helps you focus more and increase your concentration.

spyrosbestplumber

Dec 17, 2012
It's actually quite easy ,at least for me.I bought a book to read FOR FUN ( not to practice ) and I decided to read for at least an hour on everyday basis.At first it was very hard because I had too many unknown words and that made me unable to enjoy it;still I continued and when I met all the vocabullary used by the author (in the first 30 pages you will meet 90% of it )it was actually a quite entertaining book.After that ,I decided not to look into the dictionary for unknown words but rather to try to understand their meaning by the rest.That made me read fast so I can usually read and not skimmed a text and complete the reading part in about 45 minutes.Still if the text is very sofisticated I find myself having some issues but generally speaking I am comfortable achieving a band 7 to 7.5 without much effort.Keep in mind that all the tests are not the same regarding the dificultiness because not everybody have the same background .Even if two people have the same level ,they do not share the same experience in life.My suggestion to you is read;read a lot and read for fun.Dont read texts and do not try to understand each and every word you meet.In the actual test you will meet unfamiliar and unknown words ,so you will in a book.The point is first to achieve a number of words per minute red and second to understand what is written .Good luck with the real thing