+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC Working Holiday to Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

wannabeCA

Feb 7, 2024
Hey everyone! I'm a 19 year old from Spain, and I want to move in with my 19 year old partner in Canada. He's been living there as a permanent resident since 2020 when he moved in with his family in Alberta. We both finished high school about a year ago and then started working to save some money. I've considered my options, and there doesn't seem to be any easy way through processes like Express Entry, since I haven't got any further education or skills. I've looked into this option, which seems to be the best one for my situation:

Apply for IEC's Working Holiday option; work and live with him in Canada for one year
Right before the IEC year ends, apply to stay as a Visitor between 3 and 6 months, he waits a month to sponsor me as his common-law partner (to make sure it's been over a year)
While we're waiting for the sponsorship application to go through, I can live there with the savings I've got even without a job
If the sponsorship process takes too long, I would've stayed long enough in Canada to appeal for my second IEC year

I want to know if this is a possible option, and if there's anything else I should know. Will I have to flagpole or go back to Spain in any moment between IEC's first year, Visitor visa's few months, IEC's second year and the sponsorship? I will most likely consult with a professional a few weeks before I start thinking of making the first applications and buying a ticket. Thank you!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everyone! I'm a 19 year old from Spain, and I want to move in with my 19 year old partner in Canada. He's been living there as a permanent resident since 2020 when he moved in with his family in Alberta. We both finished high school about a year ago and then started working to save some money. I've considered my options, and there doesn't seem to be any easy way through processes like Express Entry, since I haven't got any further education or skills. I've looked into this option, which seems to be the best one for my situation:

Apply for IEC's Working Holiday option; work and live with him in Canada for one year
Right before the IEC year ends, apply to stay as a Visitor between 3 and 6 months, he waits a month to sponsor me as his common-law partner (to make sure it's been over a year)
While we're waiting for the sponsorship application to go through, I can live there with the savings I've got even without a job
If the sponsorship process takes too long, I would've stayed long enough in Canada to appeal for my second IEC year

I want to know if this is a possible option, and if there's anything else I should know. Will I have to flagpole or go back to Spain in any moment between IEC's first year, Visitor visa's few months, IEC's second year and the sponsorship? I will most likely consult with a professional a few weeks before I start thinking of making the first applications and buying a ticket. Thank you!
Please define the word `partner' in your query. You seem to understand that until you have cohabited together (anywhere) for one full year or longer, he will not be your `partner' in the sense of a Common-Law partner.

Aside from getting married and then applying for spousal sponsorship, your plan seems to be the only real option.

Good luck!

Reactions: wannabeCA