+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC approved

Biby236

Feb 2, 2022
Hi, my daughter just had her iec approved today !

we are already in Canada on work permits but my daughter applied for this so she is able to work also (age currently on visitor visa ) we used a medical from July last year (done for submitting for PR under cec but waiting a draw !)

the medical is only valid until July this year - does this mean she must activate (leave and re enter border) before July - or does it just mean she would not be allowed to work in the approved jobs which require a medical such as childcare etc if she re enters after the medical has expired ?!

thank you

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
When an IEC visa is issued you are granted a Port of Entry (POE) letter. Your POE Letter will normally be valid for 12 months. You must enter Canada in that time to activate your IEC visa. If you underwent a medical exam, it will be valid until the expiry date of your medical exam or for 12 months, whichever is less.

Biby236

Feb 2, 2022
Hi thank you for replying
Letter of introduction (POE ) says valid May 19 2023 and medical July 13 2022 - so she must enter before medical expires ? She cannot do after and just have the expedition on permit there cannot work in job which requires medical ?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hi thank you for replying
Letter of introduction (POE ) says valid May 19 2023 and medical July 13 2022 - so she must enter before medical expires ? She cannot do after and just have the expedition on permit there cannot work in job which requires medical ?
What country is she from?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Sorry I'm not 100% sure as I'm an IEC permit that didn't require a medical exam, but your daughter's does presumably because she wants to work in the medical field.

But let's apply some common sense here.

I think the medical exam was only required to obtain her in-principle IEC visa approval, which your daughter has by virtue of having the POE letter. So the medical exam was only necessary to complete the IEC process. She now has 12 months to enter Canada and obtain her actual work permit.

It would be very unreasonable that they needed her to take another medical exam as that stipulation wouldn't allow her to work a full 24 months as a UK passport holder given medicals are only valid for a year. So I'm pretty sure she's fine! Just make sure she does it because if she doesn't, she'll never get the chance again.

Biby236

Feb 2, 2022
Thanks for your reply ! I only
Put working in childcare as she eventually wants to be a teacher and so thought it would be good if a job came up maybe in a daycare it would be good experience! And we already had the medical from last year I thought May as well use it - wish We hadn’t bothered now though as the date has me worried but we will get her to flagpole before July and yes common sense tells me that’s just the date she has to enter by and if her medical is valid when entering the work permit validity is not based on that date and she will get the 24 months

Reactions: moscatojuices