+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC application after previous overstay

Emzclareg

May 21, 2018
Hi all,

Hoping somebody can shed some light on my predicament.

I applied for an IEC working holiday visa and was granted same in June 2012. I worked up until March/April 2013 and stayed on in Canada without applyi. My visa expired in June 2013 and I naively thought I was fine to stay in the country as a visitor for a short period after. I can't remember for exactly how long but it was between 1 and 2 months.

My visa was never stamped when leaving Canada in 2013 and I flew directly home so no stamps on my passport. I returned to Canada the following year for a 2 week holiday and no questions were asked at immigration.

It's now 5 years on and I'm looking to return to Canada under the new 2 year IEC programme, which I'm eligible for. I need to put down the dates I lived in Canada before as it was within the last 5 years and also need to declare whether I ever outstayed a visa before.

I'm just wondering has anybody else come up against this? And is it automatic refusal if I tick yes and explain my ignorance? Considering I re-entered the country the following year without any problems.

Thank you :)

Darioneer

Jan 12, 2021
Hi,

I finally get an answer for this. I overstayed two weeks in Canada after my work permit expired because I was not able to find a sooner flight back home. However, I stopped working and never got into trouble so at the moment of leaving Canada I had no issues and I never got a letter from the government to leave the country.

5 years later, I obtained a PNP after applying for a job from my home country and the PR process went through with no problems.