+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want get permanent residence after finishing my study is it possible? Toronto

Elijahqassar

Sep 20, 2013
Hi , I have this situation .I am international student 27 years old and I live in Toronto, I ve got married about 3 years ago, my wife is 25 years old, at the moment, I study at English school and in January ,15th 2014 I am going to attend to George Brown college to study Health Informatics (post Graduate program) for one year. actually, I am dentist but I obtained my bachelor degree in my home country(not licensed yet ). My wife she studies now at Centennial college at Hospitality management program(post secondary 2 years program).
my study permit will finish in January 15th 2015 . But my wife her study permit for two years . So I want to know :
1-Is it possible to stay with her after finishing my study and if yes can I work with my certificate that I will obtain ?
2-And what about PR how we can get permanent residence ,how much time we should wait to obtain PR and what is the process ?
3- Are there any needs that my wife will sponsor me ?
I hope someone could give me a detailed answer I will be veryyyyyy thankful because I searched sooooo long but the information in internet are still not clear for me .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. You can apply for an open work permit based on your wife's study permit.
2. Either you or your wife will have to complete one year of full time skilled and paid work experience. Once you have the work experience, you will qualify to apply for PR through the Canadian Experience Class program.
3. I'm sorry - I don't understand this question.

Elijahqassar

Sep 20, 2013
First of all , thank you very much for your clear and good answer . Secondly , I heard (but not sure ) that if I want to stay with my wife ,she must sponsor my stay here in Canada this include living expenses and other..... is it true ?
And I have another question concerns open work permit ,1-Do I have to obtain a job offer from a Canadian employer? 2- can I work with my Canadian specialization (Health Informatics ) even if I dont have a PR during my wife study ?

Thank you again .

seab

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
For your open work permit you do not need to have an employer lined up. It is issued base on your successful completing of a post secondary degree in canada. If you are taking a one yr post grad program then your work permit will only be one year.. which could be a bit tricky for getting all the work experience that you need. However who knows if the rules will be the same in 2015 because CIC is always revamping their programs

Elijahqassar

Sep 20, 2013
Thank you. But lets say I finished the one year work experience, can I stay with my wife and make my open work permit later ?

cecbear

Feb 2, 2013
When you graduate, you can get 1 year PGWP based on your one year study. PGWP is open work permit and you can work in any profession. If you can work full time as a NOC 0/A/B profession (at least 30 hours per week) for the whole year while you hold the PGWP (which requires very careful planning as you need to start working as soon as you get the PGWP), you can apply for PR as principal applicant.

Alternatively, when your wife graduate, she can get 3 years PGWP. If she can work for one year full time within the three year time period, she can apply for PR as principal applicant and list you as spouse. While she holds the PGWP AND working full time as a NOC 0/A/B profession, you can also apply for an open work permit and work in the same time. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

If any of you applies, you only need to add the other as spouse. It's not sponsorship, both of you apply and get PR in the same time.