+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I plan to apply for asylum in Canada as a convention refugee. What's the best path to take?

atescherim

Jan 23, 2024
Hi! I am Maya, a trans woman in Honduras, and I want to apply for asylum in Canada. I am aware that first I would need a visa to enter the country and then request asylum.
What's the best way to go about it?

I could probably save up as much as I can and apply for a student visa, but it might take years to get all the money I need for tuition.
It's the same case for Express Entry.

I have friends in Canada who can help me with accommodations.

What would you recommend I do?

Last edited:
Reactions: ref19to22

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! I am Maya, a trans woman in Honduras, and I want to apply for asylum in Canada. I am aware that first I would need a visa to enter the country and then request asylum.

I could probably save up as much as I can and apply for a student visa, but it might take years to get all the money I need for tuition.

A visitor visa might be the easiest route. I have friends in Canada who can help me with accommodations.

Express Entry is an immigration program. So if you get PR through Express Entry then you don't need to apply for asylum.

To be approved for a visitor visa, you will need to show that you have sufficient funds to pay for your visit to Canada. You will also want to show that your are a genuine visitor who has no plans on staying long term through showing ties to your home country such as employment and property ownership. It will be helpful if you have previously traveled to counties requiring visas such as the US or UK.

Reactions: ref19to22

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Getting a visa may or may not be difficult.
All of Europe is visa free for passport holders from Honduras . Which is another option if you’re in danger

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Honduran_citizens

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP

Depending on your funds, work status, travel history, among other factors, getting a visitor visa may not be as easy. Canada may not be the best option. As @Copingwithlife said, you may want to check countries that don't require visitor visa for Hondurans, like most of Europe for example.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

What will be the reason for refugee claim?