+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I passed TEF. It's possible.

Sep 11, 2022
Mississauga
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Hello Mehran,
I'd love to help in any way I can. There's a Facebook group (Comment Se Préparer au TEF, TCF Canada) that shares exam resources (past questions), but you might probably find out that it's almost impossible to pass TEF or TCF without actually being proficient in
French.
I'm actually self taught, so a lot of the methods I used were informal. I learned to read fluently using French news apps (bye bye BBC & CNN, welcome RFI, France 24, France INFO etc) and Google Translate app. I figured I'd only be able to attempt the test once I could read randomly in French as I do in English. Once I reached a certain level of comfort, I changed the language settings of my phone and other devices to French, continuing to use Google Translate to expand my vocabulary.

Soon, I realised I could read quite well, but seriously struggled with understanding what I heard i.e spoken French. I checked the Internet and found from other people's experiences, that that doesn't come automatically. You'll need to employ audio resources with French transcripts to enhance your audio Compréhension. I'm an android user, so I can recommend some very helpful apps there (French Conversation by TTA Apps Studio, News In Slow French). These two are very helpful, the latter helps you get accustomed to the rhythm and vocabulary of the news read out in FrenchFrench, while the former helps with day to day style of conversation. With time, I realised I was very comfortable with the content from the two, but still struggled with things I heard on radio or TV. Then I stumbled on two resources that massively helped me improveimprove my listening and I still use them to this moment. They're: Sept Jours sur la Planète on YouTube, and RFI's Le Journal en Français Facile. They take real life discussions and news, not studio tailored, and provide transcripts so your brain really gets attuned to spoken French. Original French productions on Netflix with French transcripts (not those translated from other languages, as the transcripts often don't match what you hear) also very helpful eg Chef's Table France, Le K Benzema etc etc

Sorry, I've said so so much. I'll be done in a moment.

For my writing, I started keeping a journal in French, where I tried to express my thoughts and all. It's hard at first, but that's the goal, to get better. Use Google Translate and Linguée, they will help you expand your vocabulary and French expressions. I also used the internet, YouTube resources (Français avec Pierre, Parlez-vous French ? etc) and apps like Test de Grammaire Française to help me improve my grammar. Because I never actually had formal training, my writing was my weakest area, but I eventually engaged a private tutor to help me at my third attempt.

Lastly, because I'm in an anglophone country, I needed someone early on that I could communicate with regularly. Preferably, an actual native speaker. A friend linked me with a Cameroonian lady living in Senegal, and via WhatsApp, we were able to communicate with regularregular frequency. That was also a big game changer. She helped correct many of my errors, reviewed my writings and had conversations with me in French. It wasn't always easy, but it got better.

Excuse me if this is a bit of an overload, just trying to share what I did and the resources I used in context.

I hope these help.

Bonne chance!!
Congrats on your achieving your goal and thanks for sharing.

perezmozez

Mar 11, 2023
Congrats on your achieving your goal and thanks for sharing.
Congratulations

Your testimony is really inspiring

Pls could you share some insight on your daily speaking practice since you self taught?

Also could you give us links to your french written essay or template you used?

Thanks

WarChild

Dec 2, 2023
I first read this post in 2021 and inspired me to learn French since my score was 450 at the time. So I dedicated a year to learn French from scratch which boosted my score to 511 and I got an ITA at the age of 37 with no ties to Canada. So thanks a lot!
I encourage people to learn French especially if your score is in the 400’s

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
I first read this post in 2021 and inspired me to learn French since my score was 450 at the time. So I dedicated a year to learn French from scratch which boosted my score to 511 and I got an ITA at the age of 37 with no ties to Canada. So thanks a lot!
I encourage people to learn French especially if your score is in the 400’s
What was your secret?

WarChild

Dec 2, 2023
What was your secret?
There is no secret, just hard work and maximum effort. I must admit that a turning point for me was when I reached A2 level I started Lingoda and iTalki lessons concurrently, that was a real turning point for me because I begun to progress really quickly. Initially I started with Alliance Francaise but their program would have taken ages to reach the required level

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
There is no secret, just hard work and maximum effort. I must admit that a turning point for me was when I reached A2 level I started Lingoda and iTalki lessons concurrently, that was a real turning point for me because I begun to progress really quickly. Initially I started with Alliance Francaise but their program would have taken ages to reach the required level
what other resource? Bebarters? Busuu? What was you main resource for grammar etc?

WarChild

Dec 2, 2023
what other resource? Bebarters? Busuu? What was you main resource for grammar etc?
For vocabulary I used an application called Lingvist, it is top top! I highly recommend it. Then the rest just Lingoda, iTalki, TV5Monde. For exam prep I used Prepmyfuture which was very useful. I also joined some whatsapp groups for the TCF since I took both TCF and TEF.

WarChild

Dec 2, 2023
So lingoda, italki, and prep my future, lingvisti.... at what point did you feel like you were ready for prepmyfuture
Once I reached around B2.2 with Lingoda because the content became too easy. I forgot to add, I listened to podcasts daily as well. By the time I reached B2 I could understand around 90% of any podcast, despite that, I was still caught off guard by the Quebecois in the TEF as it sounds like a different language