+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I owe $5k to the government, what can I do in this situation?

Felix_210

Feb 12, 2022
(Not for me, but for my boyfriend)

For context: My boyfriend emigrated from Venezuela in January 2019, under a tourist visa, to Ontario. He arrived to Montreal in March and started applying for refugee status around April-May. In May, under refugee-claimant status, he applied for both financial assistance and for a social security number (SSN). Two weeks later, he received his SSN; in June, he was under financial assistance by cheque. He started working in July, and became a protected person in May-June 2021. This is also when he applied to college.

The problem, however, stems from August 2021, when he started attending college as a full-time student. The cheque specifies that if his status changes, he must notify the government immediately. So, three weeks before school started and two days after he receives his letter of acceptance (LOA), school contract, and all necessary paperwork, he sent them directly at Bureau des Services Quebec's office.

In January 2022, February 2022, he received a notice claiming that he is now ineligible to receive financial assistance as a full-time student, and he has to pay that money back. The notice, however, mentions that the Bureau has not received his paperwork, which he had, and he has 90 days to file for an appeal. He now owes the office more than $5k, which he'd already paid to the college.

What's the best course of action from here? If he files for an appeal, how likely will he have his issue resolved? Thank you so much, and we appreciate all the input we can get :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
(Not for me, but for my boyfriend)

For context: My boyfriend emigrated from Venezuela in January 2019, under a tourist visa, to Ontario. He arrived to Montreal in March and started applying for refugee status around April-May. In May, under refugee-claimant status, he applied for both financial assistance and for a social security number (SSN). Two weeks later, he received his SSN; in June, he was under financial assistance by cheque. He started working in July, and became a protected person in May-June 2021. This is also when he applied to college.

The problem, however, stems from August 2021, when he started attending college as a full-time student. The cheque specifies that if his status changes, he must notify the government immediately. So, three weeks before school started and two days after he receives his letter of acceptance (LOA), school contract, and all necessary paperwork, he sent them directly at Bureau des Services Quebec's office.

In January 2022, February 2022, he received a notice claiming that he is now ineligible to receive financial assistance as a full-time student, and he has to pay that money back. The notice, however, mentions that the Bureau has not received his paperwork, which he had, and he has 90 days to file for an appeal. He now owes the office more than $5k, which he'd already paid to the college.

What's the best course of action from here? If he files for an appeal, how likely will he have his issue resolved? Thank you so much, and we appreciate all the input we can get :)
He needs to arrange a repayment plan and slowly pay off the debt. There may be interest or a penalty added. He may owe an additional amount if he started working in July and didn’t notify the welfare office. Best to come clean and avoid penalties and being found to have been receiving welfare while also working which he was required to report. If he arrived in 2019 I assume there is a good chance that he was working at some point whether on or off the books. If he claimed welfare at the same time that also means he will have to repay money he received. Welfare fraud is taken pretty seriously. Any change in your circumstances are required to be reported.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix_210