+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need advice on how to go about moving to Canada

Cophine

Oct 8, 2017
Hi,

As you can tell by the title of this tread, I'm looking for some advice. The reason I want to move to Canada is because my girlfriend lives there. I eventually want to become a Canadian citizen too. I plan to spend the rest of my life there. The only thing I am confused about is the way to go about it. I am 22 and I have just finished my undergraduate degree in psychology. I want to go to a Canadian university to get my Master's degree in psych, so I can become a practicing therapist in Canada. I haven't applied to any schools because I was hoping to become a permanent resident of Canada so that the tuition fees would go down significantly. However, I want to get to Canada as fast as possible; ideally, January/February 2018. Is there any way I can get some sort of visa/permanent residence by then to move there, and then apply to schools later on? If it's possible, which visa would I apply for and what exact steps do I need to do this?

Thank you so much for your help.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Hi,

As you can tell by the title of this tread, I'm looking for some advice. The reason I want to move to Canada is because my girlfriend lives there. I eventually want to become a Canadian citizen too. I plan to spend the rest of my life there. The only thing I am confused about is the way to go about it. I am 22 and I have just finished my undergraduate degree in psychology. I want to go to a Canadian university to get my Master's degree in psych, so I can become a practicing therapist in Canada. I haven't applied to any schools because I was hoping to become a permanent resident of Canada so that the tuition fees would go down significantly. However, I want to get to Canada as fast as possible; ideally, January/February 2018. Is there any way I can get some sort of visa/permanent residence by then to move there, and then apply to schools later on? If it's possible, which visa would I apply for and what exact steps do I need to do this?

Thank you so much for your help.
There is absolutely no route to residency whatsoever that you could start now, and become a PR by January.

If you want to move with your girlfriend, then you can get married, or live together as a couple for 12 months. Once you have done either of these, you can apply for spousal sponsorship (depending on where you're from, and how you do it, this takes about 4-24 months).

If your g/f doesn't feel she's in a position to sponsor you, or she's not eligible (eg sponsored herself by a partner within last few years, on social assistance), then you would need to migrate through an economic stream, such as Federal Skilled Worker, or a Provincial Nomination.

Many of the Provinces provide support for graduates of their universities who want to become PRs, but that would entail attending as an international student, paying full tuition fees. To get a study permit, you would need to be able to demonstrate ability to pay the fees, and the first year of attendance's living costs, upfront.

Reactions: scylla

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013