+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I legally changed my name in BC, do I need to update my PR card?

dperez

Mar 22, 2016
For laws specific to my country of origin, I cannot legally change my name in my passport even though I've changed it in my Canadian documentation (driver's license, SIN, etc).
I have not requested a new PR card, mainly because I thought it would make more sense that the name on my PR card matches the one in my passport. I'm preparing for a trip to the US next month and just want to ensure I won't encounter any problems.
What should my next actions be?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
For laws specific to my country of origin, I cannot legally change my name in my passport even though I've changed it in my Canadian documentation (driver's license, SIN, etc).
I have not requested a new PR card, mainly because I thought it would make more sense that the name on my PR card matches the one in my passport. I'm preparing for a trip to the US next month and just want to ensure I won't encounter any problems.
I am not sure but I think all the docs would be in the same name as if an official double check it in the system and the name comes out to be different it could be a possibility that you are carrying someone's else docs. It can take an adverse turn and can create problems while citizenship time. Think practically if date of birth yields a different name than the one you are using now, can you explain and convince the officials? So I think its best to have same name everywhere. Though I maybe wrong.

dperez

Mar 22, 2016
I am not sure but I think all the docs would be in the same name as if an official double check it in the system and the name comes out to be different it could be a possibility that you are carrying someone's else docs. It can take an adverse turn and can create problems while citizenship time. Think practically if date of birth yields a different name than the one you are using now, can you explain and convince the officials? So I think its best to have same name everywhere. Though I maybe wrong.
Which system do you mean? My CIC account?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My two cents: with foreign passport + PR card in same name, you should not have a problem getting on your flights. Carry copy of the legal name change order and local ID (DL etc) just in case.

If any questions, you answer sipmly you can't / don't want to change the PR card until you can change passport, and that's complicated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Every system. Imagine being stopped by traffic cops, border officials at the airport or asked for docs at the time of citizenship.
There's no single 'system' in Canada. Every one of them works separately, let alone the provincial/federal split.

So I don't know what you're referring to. DL is already in new name; no need to show PR card. At airport: as described above.

That said, it would be better to change both the foreign passport and the PR card.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
There's no single 'system' in Canada. Every one of them works separately, let alone the provincial/federal split.

So I don't know what you're referring to. DL is already in new name; no need to show PR card. At airport: as described above.

That said, it would be better to change both the foreign passport and the PR card.
I am very well aware of that. This is exactly what I meant for instance you have changed it on foreign passport and did not requested a PR card (as you mentioned in your intial post). So you get to the airport and border force officials start your paperwork and insert your date of birth to verify your details and there would be 2 different names as you have changed only 1 doc, so it would arise complication. I hope you get it this time. The end result is to keep the name same on every system so as to avoid complications. Rest is your choice entirely.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So you get to the airport and border force officials start your paperwork and insert your date of birth to verify your details and there would be 2 different names as you have changed only 1 doc, so it would arise complication.
No. The individual changed their name at provincial court. It does not just magically arrive in IRCC's system.

Even if it did, the answer is quite simple: here is my passport. Here is my PR card. They show the same name. It also matches the airline ticket.* I also have this change of name document, if passport officer cares (which he/she almost certainly does not).

*Plenty of individuals travel with mismatching documents as long as they make sense eg I was Robert First, changed name to Robert Second. Here is the name change doc saying Robert First's name was changed to Robert Second.

Again: I agree that this eventually becomes more of a problem to keep track of, and if you change your name, you should use your name and change yoru documents. Just plain common sense.

But we dont' have to wave our hands about some magical unified system that will get upset. It doesn't exist.