+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I just received my passport stamped with a PRTD category RC-1, What now?

BAYYARI

Jul 18, 2015
Harry15 said:
Hello Anita/Senior Members
As you said he can apply for renewal of PR card immediately after arriving in Canada. However, if you see the application for PR card there is question 22-D which asks to prove residency obligation under three sub categories. As the guy did not stay in Canada in the last five years,
HOW SHOULD HE ANSWER THAT QUESTION? or just leave those questions blank?
secondly, he has to attach some documents along with the application and if you see the Instruction Guide, its easy to give Primary Identity and Secondary Identity document. Its impossible to attach Additional Documents of proof of residence in Canada which is most recent income tax assessment issued by CRA for current year and previous two years in the last five years.
HOW CAN HE ARRANGE THOSE DOCUMENTS WHEN HE WAS NOT PRESENT IN CANADA IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS? WHAT SHOULD HE DO FOR THIS PART?
Please advice.

Thx.
I also would like to see somebody answer these questions. Thanks for posting, Harry.

Reactions: fdido

BAYYARI

Jul 18, 2015
UPDATE: The University accepted my proof of landed status. Thank you so much for your help and hopefully other people will make use of this thread.

robal

Star Member
Sep 19, 2015
But document should be attached to apply PRTD on H&C basis. Passport is necessary to send ..or they demand .can we apply online through email. List of document plz and where to send in India consulate or immigration section ..plz

El@12

Aug 4, 2021
Greetings everyone,
I have received my passport with a Travel document counterfoil in it along with a letter from the Canadian embassy informing me that my application for permanent resident status determination has been approved.
The category on the counterfoil is RC-1 aside written Permanent Resident .
As for the next steps i would like to know if it is still possible ,upon my arrival at the airport , that the immigration officer might still provoke my permanent resident status.
Thank you

mokosze

Jun 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore to manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 Jul 2014
Nomination.....
per 14 Nov 2014
AOR Received.
18 Dec 2014
File Transfer...
SLU 22 Aug 2015
Med's Request
26 Aug 2015
Med's Done....
28 Aug 2015
Passport Req..
11 Nov 2015
VISA ISSUED...
20 Nov 2015
Greetings everyone,
I have received my passport with a Travel document counterfoil in it along with a letter from the Canadian embassy informing me that my application for permanent resident status determination has been approved.
The category on the counterfoil is RC-1 aside written Permanent Resident .
As for the next steps i would like to know if it is still possible ,upon my arrival at the airport , that the immigration officer might still provoke my permanent resident status.
Thank you

Hi

I'm curious about your tineline from submission date to approval. How long did you wait and was it an online submission to the ircc email ? What is your country of origin.

I just submitted my prtd few days ago to the email based h&c too

Tika85

Feb 22, 2016
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2016
AOR Received.
April 14 2016
File Transfer...
April 19 2016
Med's Done....
January 2016
Hi

I'm curious about your tineline from submission date to approval. How long did you wait and was it an online submission to the ircc email ? What is your country of origin.

Where did you apply for PRTD? Also- how long did it take to receive the PRTD??

anonymouscookie

Sep 13, 2021
A forum like this is a good source of general information, not so good a place to get personal advice.

In particular, I am no expert, and I am NOT qualified to give personal advice. And, frankly, I suggest being rather skeptical of anyone who purports to be giving personal advice here.

So I cannot offer any specifics about how things will go for you in particular.

I can offer the following general observations:

1. I read somewhere on the canadavisa forums that I should wait for 730 days (2 years) before I apply for a PR card and not as soon as I arrive, is this true? and if it is, why?

To be eligible for a PR card, a person must be BOTH a PR, and also be in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. This almost always means that to be eligible for the PR card, a PR who has been in breach of the PR RO should wait, before applying for the PR card, to he or she has been in Canada at least 730 days within the preceding five years, plus a margin actually. Applying before that can trigger a Residency Determination which not only can result in being denied a new PR card, but can result (if the individual is determined to be in breach of the PR RO and not have sufficient H&C reasons to otherwise be allowed to retain status) in the issuance of an enforceable Removal Order, meaning PR status would be lost.

Many PRs abroad who have not complied with the PR RO have, historically, been able to travel to Canada (one way or another) and allowed to enter Canada without being reported for being in breach of the PR RO. Their PR status is good. But they want to avoid doing something which would trigger a residency examination, so they want to avoid applying for a new PR card, applying to sponsor a family member, or leaving and attempting to re-enter Canada, or leaving and applying for a PR TD, for at least two years, until they are in compliance with the PR RO.

You are in a somewhat different situation since your PR status has been adjudicated, and it has been determined you had sufficient H&C grounds to retain your PR status. This decision is, as I understand things, entitled to much weight, almost binding. So you should not be risking losing PR status if you apply for a PR card sooner . . . that is without waiting two years.

But as I tried to explain in my previous post: I am not certain to what extent this will hold true.

Relative to applying for a new PR card, my strong sense is you will be OK . . . but that does not mean Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship will process your application within the routine timeline. Indeed, I would anticipate some delay.

Best to consult with a lawyer about this, but that could be expensive.

2. Is it impossible for me to leave Canada for a couple of weeks to visit my family and go back to canada without getting into any trouble?

What do you mean by "getting into any trouble?"

If you can travel via the U.S., so that you do not need to make another application for a PR TD in order to return to Canada, and so long as you have established a residence in Canada, and been living in Canada for a significant time, a mere two week absence should not cause officers at the POE to pursue a residency examination, and even if they do, the decision in your PR TD application (the one pursuant to which you now have a PR TD) should be sufficient to avoid being reported. So in that sense, yes, you can leave and return with low risk of being reported, even lower risk of being reported and that resulting in an enforceable Removal Order.

But whether or not you might run into difficulty if you have to apply for a PR TD again, that's another issue and there are risks beyond just the formalities. The formality is that your current PR TD should suffice and there should be no problem getting another (again, if you have a residence in Canada, been living in Canada, and are just making a short trip abroad) . . . but predicting what happens at visa offices abroad is inherently risky.

Better practice: After arriving in Canada, and establishing a residence in Canada, wait a bit then apply for a new PR card, and avoid traveling abroad until you have the new card. It may take a year. Should not be longer than that. If it goes a year, a year you have been living in Canada, you might feel more confident about going abroad and risking having to get another PR TD to return.

Generally, the longer you are settled in Canada, the lower the risks of problems.

3. When applying to university, Am I considered an international student or not? (tuition costs more for international students)

I do not know much about this. My general understanding is that to qualify for resident tuition is that you need to both be actually residing in Canada and have at least Permanent Resident status.

The problem is proving you have PR status without a PR card. Others here may know more about how this goes in practice, what to anticipate, how to approach this.

4. My PRTD expires in 06/06/2016, can I use it to travel to Canada at any day within the 6 months time-frame? (lets say 01/06/2016 for example)

That is indeed my understanding.

Waiting until June next year, however, seems unnecessarily risky. STUFF happens. A few years ago, for example, a volcano in Iceland interfered with trans-Atlantic flights and thousands and thousands of travelers were delayed by weeks, the impact rippling across nearly all trans-oceanic flights to Canada regardless of the route. The more common scenario is a car accident (or other accident, injury while playing a friendly game of football, a bad fall, stuff happens), a sudden illness, the sudden illness of a parent, something which compels the individual to put off travel for days or weeks.
Hello I have a question, so basically when I landed I got the pr but I was obviously a minor and unable to make a decision to stay in Canada so obviously my PR CARD expired. so this led me to apply for a prtd based on h&c grounds. now my question is when i go to Canada in a few weeks, i have filled out the pr application but left one section empty which is the residency obligation as I stayed outside of Canada for 1095 days or more. However, the situations they mention (absences while accompanying family member, family business etc) don't apply to me. So my question is, do i leave this section empty when i submit this application in hopes they will look at my file knowing I have a valid reason based on h&c grounds or do i submit a letter along with this application? can someone help me with this please. thank you. Also, I was issued the visa 24th of august and I'm traveling on the 22nd of sept. and its category RC-1, so can anyone please elaborate on this and provide me with good news, thanks.

Ah023

Sep 24, 2021
Hi

Hi, did you get ur PRTD approved on H&C yet? If yes, can I know ur timeline pls?

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I have a few more questions to ask,

1. I read somewhere on the canadavisa forums that I should wait for 730 days (2 years) before I apply for a PR card and not as soon as I arrive, is this true? and if it is, why?
2. Is it impossible for me to leave Canada for a couple of weeks to visit my family and go back to canada without getting into any trouble?
3. When applying to university, Am I considered an international student or not? (tuition costs more for international students)
4. My PRTD expires in 06/06/2016, can I use it to travel to Canada at any day within the 6 months time-frame? (lets say 01/06/2016 for example)

I'm planning to go to Canada to study and live there, but I also would like to visit my family for a week or two once in a while without getting into any trouble.
Hello,

I am sailing in the same boat. Finally what happened to your situation? Did you applied for your PR card immediately after landing and if so did they issue new PR card or you have to any issue?

Your answer will be very helpful to me.

Thanks in advance.