+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I can extend Study permit with a part-time program?

andrucastillo

Sep 26, 2014
Anybody can help with this doubt!

I'm in canada with a Study Permit doing a ESL program. I wanna extend my Study Permit with a part-time Project Management Program. With this part-time program I can extend my Study Permit? or it has to be a full-time program?

Thanks you!

ibnbatuta

Jun 24, 2014
For study permit the course has to be from designated learning institute. I doubt whether any DLI would give admission to any international student in part time course. Even if you manage the admission , chances of study permit would be very remote for the simple reason that you will not be able to prove that your sole purpose of Your stay is studies.

Canada allows internationals to work provided they are full time enrolled in academics. So there is no chance of allowing part time studies especially when internationals are allowed to work only when full time enrollment is there.

andrucastillo

Sep 26, 2014
ibnbatuta

Thanks for you respond. The designated learning institute is a very good university in canada. Also one of my friends applied before June 1st (Old rules) to another good university for a part-time management program and immigration gave to him a study permit for 3 years. But without work permit btw.

The thing is that I dont know if with the new rules that could change, because I dont saw anything on the CIC web page.

Thanks again

ibnbatuta

Jun 24, 2014
With the new rules you can work from day one the moment you are enrolled. However bulk of the post graduate students require case specific reference to cic for getting the SIN ( the same can be checked from this forum ) for doing work. That can be your only saving grace in the sense that you will not be allowed to work with part time studies. However the matter gets compounded if you already have a SIN for doing off campus job.( I do not know whether ESL course students were allowed to work earlier- most probably not ) . So if you do not have an off- campus work permit you may take a try for study permit. However be assured that you will not be allowed to work. Best of luck.

Part time courses are not eligible for PGWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
andrucastillo said:
Anybody can help with this doubt!

I'm in canada with a Study Permit doing a ESL program. I wanna extend my Study Permit with a part-time Project Management Program. With this part-time program I can extend my Study Permit? or it has to be a full-time program?

Thanks you!
Needs to be full time.

andrucastillo

Sep 26, 2014
ibnbatuta

Thanks for you respond. I came to Canada in April. Since that moment I'm studying english; but, I wanna do a Project Management Certificate that start in January. The University told me that the certificate is a Part-time program, but they would give a letter for immigration purposes. About the work permit, I cannot work off campus, but maybe I can work on campus right?

scylla

Thanks for you respond too. Where on the CIC web page said that? because I have been looking and I dont saw nothing about it. One of my friends applied before June 1st (Old rules) to another good university for a part-time management program and immigration gave to him a study permit for 3 years.

The thing is that I finish my ESL program and I'll apply for a Master degree at september 2015 and I wanna do something when I'm waiting.

ibnbatuta

Jun 24, 2014
You can not work on campus. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-oncampus.asp . You need to be a full time student.