+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am Canadian citizen ,Can i apply my mother case on the basis of H&C Humanitarian Ground and how she can get medical insurance free?

PAKALI1975

May 4, 2013
Dear Senior,

I am Canadian citizen my mother is 79 year old widow and she is here more than 1 year after six moths I restore her visa status which was expired after six month now her restore status is also going expire soon.

I was paying around $400 every month her medical insurance and now her insurance has been expired and she is very sick and I not able to afford $400 every month.

I am thinking to apply her case on the basis of H&C Humanitarian Ground need advice that my mother

Can apply her case on the basis of H&C Humanitarian Ground, how it will work to make her eligible on the basis of H&C Humanitarian Ground and can I get medical insurance free for sick mother.

Due to covid 19 and her age and health reason I don’t want to send back to Pakistan now.

Please give me your precious advice and help me thank all of you in advance!

Reactions: d33p2o

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear Senior,

I am Canadian citizen my mother is 79 year old widow and she is here more than 1 year after six moths I restore her visa status which was expired after six month now her restore status is also going expire soon.

I was paying around $400 every month her medical insurance and now her insurance has been expired and she is very sick and I not able to afford $400 every month.

I am thinking to apply her case on the basis of H&C Humanitarian Ground need advice that my mother

Can apply her case on the basis of H&C Humanitarian Ground, how it will work to make her eligible on the basis of H&C Humanitarian Ground and can I get medical insurance free for sick mother.

Due to covid 19 and her age and health reason I don’t want to send back to Pakistan now.

An H&C application does not give you access to provincial healthcare. If you are approved in principle you should be able to get approved for healthcare but that could be 2+ years if she is approved. Getting PR for parents via H&C is far from guaranteed. There is a program (PGP) for sponsoring parents and grandparents. You can certainly try to apply for H&C. Some parents are approved and some are denied. You’ll need pay for all her medical care while she waits for an answer for her H&C. If she is sick it will likely be impossible to get insurance to cover her preexisting conditions. Would plan on paying for her healthcare costs for 2 year at the very minimum.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear Senior,

You can certainly try having your mother apply through H&C. Are you her only child? It generally significantly strengthens your case if you are an only child. If she has any other children and if any re living in Pakistan, that will generally significantly weaken her case.

As said above, unfortunately she will not qualify for health care coverage until she has approval in principle (AIP). This is taking around 1.5 to 2 years these days from the date you submit the application. So applying for H&C will not be a quick path to getting medical coverage for her. You will have to continue to pay for her medical costs for the next 2 years or so.

If you decide to go the H&C route, it's always a good idea to use a good immigration lawyer to assist you if you have the funds available to pay the fees. Good luck.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
You can certainly try having your mother apply through H&C. Are you her only child? It generally significantly strengthens your case if you are an only child. If she has any other children and if any re living in Pakistan, that will generally significantly weaken her case.

As said above, unfortunately she will not qualify for health care coverage until she has approval in principle (AIP). This is taking around 1.5 to 2 years these days from the date you submit the application. So applying for H&C will not be a quick path to getting medical coverage for her. You will have to continue to pay for her medical costs for the next 2 years or so.

If you decide to go the H&C route, it's always a good idea to use a good immigration lawyer to assist you if you have the funds available to pay the fees. Good luck.
H&C is a tough route for family sponsorship. It does take 2 or more years to process and the approval rate is low. If you are single and you do not have any other family in Canada, it is possible but yeah, medical inadmissibility can also be an issue. Best to contact an RCIC or lawyer.

d33p2o

Oct 5, 2023
Dear Senior,

Hello Friend, i also want to apply for my mother under H&C Ground . Would like to know did you apply for your mother? And what is the status of your application? Looking forward for your reply. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Friend, i also want to apply for my mother under H&C Ground . Would like to know did you apply for your mother? And what is the status of your application? Looking forward for your reply. Thanks!
H&C is not a substitute for PGP. The length of a supervisa was extended to allow parents to spend more time in Canada. Does your situation have special H&C circumstances that are different than others who just haven’t been selected for PGP? Is there a reason why your mother could not visit on a supervisa while trying to qualify for PGP? How old is your mother? Are you an only child? Does she have any family in her home country? Is she able to care for herself? For example prepare simple meals, shower and dress herself, etc.? If she has health issues are her health issue severe enough that it would lead to her being considered as creating excessive demand in the healthcare system? There is always a spike in H&C applications after PGP rules are announced or candidates are selected for PGP. Are you aware that if her H&C case is denied she may not be able to come to Canada or stay in Canada as a visitor? After applying for H&C you have declared your desire to remain in Canada longterm so there will be concerns that you will attempt to remain in Canada if able to enter in the future. Have seen many H&C refusal indicate that Canada has a pathway for parent sponsorship and that parents now have the ability to visit for a long period of time through a supervisa. H&C is not meant as an alternative for people who don’t want to wait to qualify for PGP or for people who have not been selected for PGP. Your case needs to show H&C circumstances and hopefully H&C circumstances where things like a supervisa is not an option (not wanting to pay for insurance is not a reason). Being an only child also doesn’t guarantee approval. It may help in certain cases but have seen widows with only child in Canada be denied when the parent was in their 80s. Also although some grandparents may want to be around their grandchildren daily a large proportion of grandparents visit their children and grandchildren every year or multiple times a year even if both are citizens of Canada. In most cases it is very difficult to prove that a grandparent must be present daily in the grandchildren’s lives. If you pursue an H&C case I would suggest reading cases especially those who have been refused and hire a lawyer for you best chance of success .

Last edited: