+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I’m an employer and I have questions about the employment contract.

Rkjim

Jan 8, 2019
Hello I don’t know if this is the right forum but I’m based in Canada and I am in the process of employing a caregiver for my child and I have a few questions.

Please don’t solicit for employment under this post. I already have someone I will employ.

okay so for the employment contract. If I have a live in arrangement with the caregiver am I supposed to charge them for rent? Or is it better to just let the caregiver not live on their own in a separate place?
Thank you

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It’s up to you if they’ll be living in your home or not .
If you give them free rent or subsidized lodging,then it’s known as a taxable benefit you have to include on their T4.
If you already have someone in mind you’ll be employing , then you probably already have a RP account with the CRA, to reimburse remittances for the caregiver
Refer to the guide below for detailed guidance
As mentioned , it’s up to you

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4130/employers-guide-taxable-benefits-allowances.html#P466_44339

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021
BRAZIL
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
In my personal opinion you should not charge rent from your caregiver.
-In a live in arrangement you can, legally charge up to 200/300 CAD a month.
-In a live out arrangement, you'll be paying the caregiver more, but since rent is really expensive, the person will spend most of her/his salary in rent.