+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I’m a PR and lived in Canada for over 4 years out of 5, spouse and daughter unable to complete required term

Candylane47

Jan 9, 2022
Hi All,
Out of last 5 years, I was able to stay in Canada physically for over 4 years. However, my spouse and daughter were not able to because of health of my father in law.
I’m wondering when I reapply for PR card, does it impact renewal of my spouse and daughter or would it be fine because I was able to meet the criteria. Any help in this regard would be much appreciated, thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,
Out of last 5 years, I was able to stay in Canada physically for over 4 years. However, my spouse and daughter were not able to because of health of my father in law.
I’m wondering when I reapply for PR card, does it impact renewal of my spouse and daughter or would it be fine because I was able to meet the criteria. Any help in this regard would be much appreciated, thank you.
PR status of each of you is individual and separate, their issues with RO compliance will not affect your status or renewal of your card. (Or indeed application for citizenship)

Likewise: they will need to meet the RO compliance on their own. If they are out of compliance and abroad, they can ask for humanitarian and compassionate consideration when applying for PRTD - including reuniting with you/ties in Canada - but no direct link. (Of course, if worst came to worst and they lost status, you could re-sponsor your spouse and your daughter if under 22.)

If they are in Canada but out of compliance - they can just wait until in compliance. You don't lose PR status automatically for non0compliance.