+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband work permit

RM79

Jun 22, 2022
Hi,

I have after graduate work permit and I have been working in Canada for one year (I got Ph.D. here). My husband is a graduate student now. We want to get a spousal open work permit for my husband and he wants to withdraw from school. I already sent my passport to renew as the expiry day is close. Moreover, my work permit expiry day is the end of this July. I have two main questions

1- For submitting a spousal open work permit for my husband, do we need to wait for the new passport?
2- Do I need to renew my work permit then my husband can apply for the work permit?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I have after graduate work permit and I have been working in Canada for one year (I got Ph.D. here). My husband is a graduate student now. We want to get a spousal open work permit for my husband and he wants to withdraw from school. I already sent my passport to renew as the expiry day is close. Moreover, my work permit expiry day is the end of this July. I have two main questions

1- For submitting a spousal open work permit for my husband, do we need to wait for the new passport?
2- Do I need to renew my work permit then my husband can apply for the work permit?

Thanks
Yes you need a longer WP for your husband to qualify to apply for SOWP. IT can take 6 months to get an SOWP so your husband shouldn’t withdraw from his studies at least yet.