+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband stay in Canada during Family Class Sponsorship

Dipanwita

May 22, 2013
Hey Forum,

I had a query about my husband's stay in Canada during the processing of my spouse visa. My husband's a Canadian Permanent Resident (citizen of India) currently living in New Zealand with me. He has to go back to Canada for work and would need to file an application to sponsor me as a spouse to bring me over. That said, we're receiving conflicting answers about his stay requirements in Canada. While some say that he's free to travel back to New Zealand once the first round of sponsorship evaluation is over, while others say that he needs to stay in Canada during the entire period of my visa processing.

I've been told that it takes 15-18 months on an average for the spouse visa to comes through - and I'm wondering if I've got to stay away from my husband for such a long period of time in case there's a legal requirement for him to stay back in Canada.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks and Cheers,

Dipanwita

cdnmom

Dec 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2012
AOR Received.
12-01-2013
File Transfer...
31-01-2013
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014
As your husband is a PR in Canada he is required to stay in Canada during the entire process... both the sponsorship part in Canada and the PR application at the VO.

Currently sponsorship approval is taking approximately 30 days and the timeline for India is currently running around 8 months.

Hope this helps :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed. It's the entire processing of the application. Not just the first round (this is a common misconception). We've seen several examples on this forum where applications have been refused because the sponsor moved elsewhere after the first round (sponsor approval). Having said that, he can certainly take a trip to NZ to visit you while the application is being processed. He should make sure to limit this trip to 3 weeks to make sure CIC doesn't think he's moved back.

atinder

Apr 12, 2013
HI. I am a Canadian PR since Sept.2012. I went to Canada for a month n then had to come back to India for Marriage in Jan2013. I didn't started any job or business in Canada when I was there. I am a full time Director of a company in India and have been working for salary here. I got the full family federal based PR on the bases of my company. Now as I am not yet working in Canada, can I sponsor my spouse by just going there searching for work and meantime showing my Indian job salary and bank balance. Is there a possibility that after sponsoring my spouse in Canada, I come back to India until she gets her PR because she is 2.5 months pregnant and needs my support mentally and physically. What shall be right procedure to start with?
I shall be really thankful for help.

cyrilleismael

May 23, 2013
hi every one!
im claire my husband sent our paper (me and my 2yrs old son) last february 21, then last april canda immigration said tht our papers is already in manila..

hstu ko lang sana tnungin kong ilng months pa aantyin ko bago irequest ng immigrtion ung passport nmin plss (regina saskatchewan )

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
atinder said:
HI. I am a Canadian PR since Sept.2012. I went to Canada for a month n then had to come back to India for Marriage in Jan2013. I didn't started any job or business in Canada when I was there. I am a full time Director of a company in India and have been working for salary here. I got the full family federal based PR on the bases of my company. Now as I am not yet working in Canada, can I sponsor my spouse by just going there searching for work and meantime showing my Indian job salary and bank balance. Is there a possibility that after sponsoring my spouse in Canada, I come back to India until she gets her PR because she is 2.5 months pregnant and needs my support mentally and physically. What shall be right procedure to start with?
I shall be really thankful for help.
Since you are a PR, the regulations require that you live in Canada for the entire duration of the processing of the sponsorship application. If you return to India in the middle of the processing, the application will be refused. This has happened to others on this forum.

It's understandable that you don't want to be apart from your wife at this time, so you should wait to sponsor her and your child once you're ready to move to Canada permanently.