+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband and wife (PRs)both commuting on H1B, impact on Canada citizenship application

smap.windy

Jul 23, 2021
Hello All,

Recently my spouse got employment in US on H1B. I am already commuting daily on H1B. I am trying to figure out answers to below questions, any experience or information shared in this regard will be really appreciated:

1) If both of us commute daily on H1B to US, will that impact Canada citizenship application in any way? Has anyone commuted to US on H1B with kids (US citizens) daily ?

2) For someone commuting daily US for work, did anybody experience any difficulties or additional scrutiny during adjudication of citizenship application. If you can share your experience wise/otherwise it will be very helpful. We don't want to jeopardize Canadian citizenship prospects by both commuting across the border.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
I dont see why, Half of Windsor works in USA and they are all Canadian Citizens. In my personal opinion, this shouldn't impact the prospects of your Canadian citizenship. It may be worth consulting a lawyer in Windsor area who can provide some honest feedback

Reactions: smap.windy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

Recently my spouse got employment in US on H1B. I am already commuting daily on H1B. I am trying to figure out answers to below questions, any experience or information shared in this regard will be really appreciated:

1) If both of us commute daily on H1B to US, will that impact Canada citizenship application in any way? Has anyone commuted to US on H1B with kids (US citizens) daily ?

2) For someone commuting daily US for work, did anybody experience any difficulties or additional scrutiny during adjudication of citizenship application. If you can share your experience wise/otherwise it will be very helpful. We don't want to jeopardize Canadian citizenship prospects by both commuting across the border.
Currently it has no impact. It used to be an issue. Nobody can guarantee whether it will become an issue in the future. Given the increase in remote work Canada will eventually need to do something about so many people working in the US, primarily paying US taxes but using Canadian services and leaving after 3 years. For only 3 years and often while primarily paying US taxes people are entitled to healthcare, domestic tuition, etc. This used to be a border issue but with remote work there is an increasing number of people working on H1B throughout Canada. Will also depend on who gets elected next time.

Reactions: smap.windy