+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to surrender immigartion status

black crow

Nov 21, 2010
hi, my PR card is expiring soon. i lived in canada for almost 2 years.
but i can not go back for next few years.
so its of no use to mention the 2 years stay.
tell me what i should do now, so that in future i can apply again on skilled class basis.
someone told me that if u lose ur PR status, they will not give u immigration again.
kindly guide me.

regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no problem applying again even though you have lost your PR status due to not living in Canada. Wait until your PR card expires, then talk to the Canadian embassy where you are about relinquishing your PR status as you do not meet the residency requirements. One way to do it is to apply for a PR travel document stating that you don't actually want a travel document, you just want it verified that you have lost your PR so in the future, you can apply for a visit visa or apply for PR again.

aussiepete

Oct 31, 2009
Whitehorse Yukon
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2005
File Transfer...
14-01-2006
Passport Req..
23-01-2006
VISA ISSUED...
27-01-2006
LANDED..........
23-03-2006
you can relinquishing your PR status anytime. you dont have to wait for your card to expire!

black crow

Nov 21, 2010
do i need to return my PR card, SIN card, license and health card etc back to embassy or relevant authorities ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I very much doubt you will be asked to return the health card and SIN card etc. but you can mail each of them to the relevant authority if you want to. As for the PR card, I assume if you relinquish your PR status, they will want the PR card back. Still, it is not just that easy because not that many people do it. The embassy may have no idea what to do and generally you can not relinquish it unless you have a good reason, say you want to join the military of another country and they forbid you to have another countries PR status, that would be a good reason. There was someone here recently who wanted to do this and in the end they let him apply for a travel document but wrote on it that he didn't actually want one, he just wanted to be found in breach of the requirements so he could lose his PR.