+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to pay for rental housing before getting there?

imatwkrp

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-21-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-13-2013
Passport Req..
10-03-2013 (copies only; visa-exempt)
LANDED..........
11-09-2013
I have arranged employment for a job that starts in August. My husband and I plan to fly up to Ontario next week to look for a rental house near the job. But I am nervous about how to secure the house or pay for the first-and-last months' worth of rent without yet having a Canadian bank account or even credit card. (We have plenty of money in USD, but haven't moved it to a Canadian bank or anything, yet.)

Does anyone have advice or experience with this? It seems such a circular problem. We don't want to leave the States without housing in place, but it's mysterious to me how to get rental housing in place before we leave.

Maybe we need to get a Canadian bank account first?? Confused, because wouldn't a Canadian bank want us to first have a Canadian residential address?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

imatwkrp said:
I have arranged employment for a job that starts in August. My husband and I plan to fly up to Ontario next week to look for a rental house near the job. But I am nervous about how to secure the house or pay for the first-and-last months' worth of rent without yet having a Canadian bank account or even credit card. (We have plenty of money in USD, but haven't moved it to a Canadian bank or anything, yet.)

Does anyone have advice or experience with this? It seems such a circular problem. We don't want to leave the States without housing in place, but it's mysterious to me how to get rental housing in place before we leave.

Maybe we need to get a Canadian bank account first?? Confused, because wouldn't a Canadian bank want us to first have a Canadian residential address?
You open a checking account when you arrive, deposit US funds, get some checks from the Bank and then write a check for the rent.

imatwkrp

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-21-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-13-2013
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
11-09-2013
Thanks, PMM, but don't most landlords require first and last month's rent before you move in?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I had a big problem with this - because I didn't bring cash and the bank held my check deposit for 2 weeks. Of course the landlord wasn't too excited about waiting for the money.

Since I refuse to waste money on absurd service fees (e.g. wire transfer), I started to withdraw cash from the ATM (BOA and Scotia had a service agreement where you can use your BOA ATM at Scotia with no service fee) and deposit the cash - avail. immediately. Had to do it over several days tho, because of withdrawal limits (and the high cost of rentals here). Hardheaded, I know...:)

All I can say is - if you are comfortable carrying large amounts of cash (I am not), that is the best way to open the account and have funds available immediately. Otherwise, unfortunately, a wire transfer is the best (initial) option, esp. if you're transferring a large sum.

Jun 16, 2010
china
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You rent a house that you must pay the cash pledge to the landlord.You can ask for a certify for which ,it is more safe to do that.

Anil_Toronto

Star Member
May 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2009 (Nova Scotia - Centralised Intake Office)
AOR Received.
14-01-2010 (at Buffalo)
File Transfer...
11-05-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Request
11-08-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Done....
12-08-2010 (Toronto)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
TO be honest, its always good to see the place before to put in a deposit and move in. If you are satisfied with the pics of the place, you can send your landlord a small aount - lets say $ 100 as a deposit that you will take the place. This assures the landlord that you will move in once you arrive to canada and he should not rent the place to someone else.

The day you arrive, you can pay the owner with travellers cheques. You can get them made with western union, american express etc. there is a small fee but the thing is these are secured. No one can encash them without your signature on them. I used these cheques when i came down here; you can go to any bank...sign infront of the teller..show your passport and they would encash the money.

imatwkrp

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-21-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-13-2013
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
11-09-2013
Thanks, everyone! I did start the whole wire-transfer process, but my bank took tons of paperwork and then said it would take weeks. The Western Union suggestion was the one that actually got me thinking of doing something much easier, and so I resorted to sending the money to my landlady via PayPal. She said it still took a few days because it came in email transfer packets, but thankfully it was so much faster and easier than the bank, and only cost a little more!

PayPal is, indeed, a pal! :) Thanks to you all for your commiseration and advice.