+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to move belongings from USA to Canada?

maddy08

Oct 20, 2017
Hi,

My husband and I got COPR in January. We are located in USA currently. We are planning to move to Canada in next month. How can we carry our stuff from here to there? First thing can we go together?
Also, can we take U-Haul and carry stuff across the border?
What care should be taken?

Please guide us on the same.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
>How can we carry our stuff from here to there?
whatever transport you want

>First thing can we go together?
Yes.

>Also, can we take U-Haul and carry stuff across the border?
Depends on UHaul policy if they allow international travel. CBSA/CBP won't care that much.

>What care should be taken?
General common stuff, e.g. nothing dangerous/illegal etc. Keep a list of the stuff you bring, with price estimates. This is especially true if you bring highly valuable items, e.g. expensive jewelry, brand new high end electronics, since might be checked at the border. Be careful about agricultural products, these can be subject to screening too and regulations are quite stringent.

siroccoon

Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2013
AOR Received.
24-05-2013
Med's Request
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
24-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2014
LANDED..........
01-03-2015
Upack is what I did. Things arrived safely.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Upack is what I did. Things arrived safely.
Hi, for Upack, should we give them a copy of the B4 From with goods to follow? Do we give them original or a copy?
Also, should we go to the nearest customs office in Canada to release the trailer/relocubes?
Did you use the trailer option or relocubes?

siroccoon

Feb 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2013
AOR Received.
24-05-2013
Med's Request
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
24-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2014
LANDED..........
01-03-2015
I remember giving the original to them and keeping the copy
Yes you need to go to the nearest customs office to clear the relocubes, but its just a matter of few mins.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
I remember giving the original to them and keeping the copy
Yes you need to go to the nearest customs office to clear the relocubes, but its just a matter of few mins.
ok, thanks! Do you remember how many days Upack will give us to go to the customs office once the relocubes arrive there?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi, for Upack, should we give them a copy of the B4 From with goods to follow? Do we give them original or a copy?
Also, should we go to the nearest customs office in Canada to release the trailer/relocubes?
Did you use the trailer option or relocubes?
I had scanned my immigration documents and stamped GTF and sent it to ABF via email.
Yes, I had to visit customs office to get goods released.
I had used trailer.

Reactions: greencard14

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
ok, thanks! Do you remember how many days Upack will give us to go to the customs office once the relocubes arrive there?
Upack gives 3 days but they are flexible. I had used trailer and engaged movers to move goods to Upack office in US and from Upack office to rental apt in Canada.

In my case, I had requested them to hold shipment for few days so that I can search for a rental apt and move goods to apt once they arrive in Canada. Thus avoiding storage expenses. They held my shipment in Canada for 4.5 days ( 2.5 working days + weekend)

Similarly on destination side, I had requested more time to pick goods and they told me that I can pick goods in next 7 days ( instead of 3 mentioned on their website).

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Upack gives 3 days but they are flexible. I had used trailer and engaged movers to move goods to Upack office in US and from Upack office to rental apt in Canada.

In my case, I had requested them to hold shipment for few days so that I can search for a rental apt and move goods to apt once they arrive in Canada. Thus avoiding storage expenses. They held my shipment in Canada for 4.5 days ( 2.5 working days + weekend)

Similarly on destination side, I had requested more time to pick goods and they told me that I can pick goods in next 7 days ( instead of 3 mentioned on their website).
Thank you!

vijay_r_leo

Aug 28, 2018

Approximately how many days it took to find a rental apartment in Canada before you moved your stuffs from upack to your Apt ? Did you use upack to upack location instead of their door to door ? Yep they are quoting me 500$ for 30 days of storage in canada if I can't collect my stuffs from them.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Depends on where and when you are moving. I moved in middle of winter to Montreal and I finalized apt in 3-4 days. I had already shortlisted few places before moving, visited those places and finalized one after moving.

I used Upack's location to location service.