+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to import Singapore/Indonesian wife?

Vaughn

Star Member
Feb 15, 2010
Hello all!

I have been wading through CIC and i am somewhat confused. I am a canadian male citizen and my girlfriend who is an Indonesian citizen but has permanent residence in Singapore are talking about getting married. She would then want to move to Canada.

How would the best way be to go about this? For us to get married in Canada, Singapore or Indonesia? Also are there any estimated wait times after marriage and when we formally apply for her to be a Canadian citizen?

Please advise if you are able

Sincerely

Vaughn

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Getting married in Canada might make things easier for you since you know that you will get all the paperwork in English or French, but you should be fine regardless.

There is no time limit involved, so you can apply as soon as you get the marriage certificate.

Vaughn

Star Member
Feb 15, 2010
Thank you for your response Swede. Regarding the wait time after we have the marriage certificate is there is there an estimate that we should be aware of?

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
my brother is also interested in bringing his gf here, she's indonesian.

although they've never lived together and not married...
so we're still not sure how to go ahead....

she just divorced her husband back home and from what i know, it's very unlikely that she will get a canadian visitor visa...

I am also indonesian and I'm sponsoring my parents from back home (July 2007).
until now nothing at all....

Vonny

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
I've been told by some lawyer that it is best that she comes here on Visitor Visa and get married in Canada and then apply for sponsorship/PR from within Canada...

But we think her visa application will be denied because she just got a divorce....

we couldn't sponsor her from Indo because my brother has never lived with her and not married...

angel286

Feb 3, 2010
Hi Vaughn,

My husband is a Canadian too and I am a Indian but Singapore PR. We got married in India and my husband filed for my PR from Canada. While I cannot tell which would be fast(reg ur qs about marriage and filing for PR), be aware that Canadian Embassy in Singapore has one of the slowest processing times. It takes an average 4-6 months provided all your paper work is in order.
We got married on 14th oct and my husband applied for my PR from Canada CPC-M on the 23rd of Oct. I submitted my medical certificate along with the application and my Police certificate as soon as my husband received the sponsorship approval.
I got my request to submit my passport for visa on the 10th of Feb.
So it did take us about 4 months too.

Hope this helps.

All the best.
Cheers.

bflava

Star Member
Feb 2, 2010
4 - 6 months is not a long time, we have to give credit to CIC....

this is all i can say for now.. if she has got a divorce and wants to marry again, there is no problem as far as i know and agin one but of advice is , the burden of proof is on you. U have to proof to CIC that your relationship is valid so everything leaading on to the marriage is more important..

Good luck and hang in there as moe help will come..

remember u always hve to take out the 4 weeks it takes cic to process the sponsorship part(ie 1st part ) out so in all angel, yr sponsorship took 3 months, wowo this is good as they have to do alot of checks..

Good luck guys

Vaughn

Star Member
Feb 15, 2010
Angel 286

Thanks for taking the time to reply. See that is how little i know. I did not realize that if she lives in Singapore that she would have to process her paperwork through Singapore, i thought she would have to apply directly through an office in Canada. Anyway it gives me an idea. Thanks!

By the way could you visit your husband in Canada after you were married but did not have your papers? I heard someone say that after you are married Canada will not allow you to visit your spouse in Canada any more.

angel286

Feb 3, 2010
Hi Vaughn,

1) I couldn't visit him once my spouse applied for PR. The thing is since I am an Indian, I would need to apply for a Visitor's Visa etc. I didn't want to apply one either, since the chances of them rejecting it would be higher considering they already know my intentions of staying there long time. A visitor is supposed to be someone who "leaves". Your wife/fiancee would be able to visit you if she doesn't need a visa to enter Canada. But nothing would stop you from visiting her in Singapore while your PR is being processed.

2) You can apply for PR to Canada only from the country you stay in. Technically I could have applied from India, but then all my processing would have been done from India, and it would have been a nightmare to get to India to submit my documents each time and then also for submitting my passport for visa. So its best to do it from the place where you stay currently, in your fiancee's case it would be Singapore.

3) Make sure all your paperwork is in order. My husband and I spent the first 2 days of marriage filling the documents and collating proof etc :-(( . The reason I stress this is if there is anything missing, your papers will be sent back to you and you would need to submit them again and that would cause further delay. Also, make sure she submits her medical certificate along with the entire set of documents.

You would need to submit everything to a CPC (In my case it was Mississauga). Once your sponsorship is approved, they will send her set of documents to Singapore. At this juncture, ask your fiancee to do the Police certificate stuff showing the Sponsorship approval as proof. She would need to submit it to Singapore office.

Make sure you have sufficient proof (All what they have asked for). Its well explained in the forms.

All the best.
Cheers.

Vaughn

Star Member
Feb 15, 2010
Thanks again for taking the time to explain things angel286, it was quite helpful. :) Sounds like you did alright for it only taking 4 months.