+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to immediately take my spouse to Canada?

Kraken_123

Star Member
Oct 4, 2019
Hello all,

After browsing through countless posts, I am still not able to determine what's the right course of action take to bring my Fiance to Canada with me right after our wedding by the end of 2020.

My current status: Permanent Resident

My fiance's current status: Indian citizen, working in India.

Goal: To get married by the end of 2020 and to get her to Canada right after the wedding.

Questions:
1. Should we apply for TRV before getting married (fiance's status will be single)?
2. Should we get married by the end of 2020 and then apply for TRV under the 'Immediate Family Member' grounds as per https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html

Note:- From the thread, I understood that immediate family members are exempt from travel restrictions currently.

So what would be the best option for us between the above two?

Has anyone tried applying for a TRV for their spouse under the 'Family Reunification' category? Was it successful?
And if so, please detail us the processes/ steps to be followed so that I can take her with me to Canada right after our marriage.

Please share your suggestions and let me know if you have any follow up questions!

Thanks.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your best option is to try to secure a TRV before marriage. After marriage it becomes harder because she is clearly not a temporary visitor. There are never any guarantees that she will be able to join you in CanDa before she gets her PR.

Kraken_123

Star Member
Oct 4, 2019
Thanks for your reply!
But I do have a question on this...if you see Step2 under 'How to apply for Visitor Visa', (please check the link) it says that the application will be prioritized and processed in the current “COVID-19” situation.

Based on the other threads/ websites/ immigration news/ updates I've seen so far, a TRV now just under the grounds of visiting the country/ family member or friend is treated as discretionary and leisure travel and the applications are getting rejected.

Only the utmost important/ emergency travel or reunification with a spouse is treated as non-discretionary.

Because of this different information, I'm honestly confused.

can anyone please help me get some clarity on this.

Please share your suggestions!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The fact they prioritize them doesn’t change the requirements the applicant has to meet to obtain a TRV. She would still need to prove she is a genuine visitor if you were married.

Kraken_123

Star Member
Oct 4, 2019
The fact they prioritize them doesn’t change the requirements the applicant has to meet to obtain a TRV. She would still need to prove she is a genuine visitor if you were married.

Just trying to understand better here,

Don't these two points contradict the general eligibility requirements for obtaining a TRV?

Please advice, thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just trying to understand better here,

Don't these two points contradict the general eligibility requirements for obtaining a TRV?

Please advice, thanks!
Somewhat contradicts themselves but not all immediate family will get a TRV. Those who only need ETAs are able to travel more easily.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your reply!
But I do have a question on this...if you see Step2 under 'How to apply for Visitor Visa', (please check the link) it says that the application will be prioritized and processed in the current “COVID-19” situation.

Based on the other threads/ websites/ immigration news/ updates I've seen so far, a TRV now just under the grounds of visiting the country/ family member or friend is treated as discretionary and leisure travel and the applications are getting rejected.

Only the utmost important/ emergency travel or reunification with a spouse is treated as non-discretionary.

Because of this different information, I'm honestly confused.

can anyone please help me get some clarity on this.

Please share your suggestions!
Just because covid is an issue does not mean that all spouses will be able to reunite in Canada. If your spouse is employed, has her own funds and has travelled internationally she’ll have a better chance of getting a TRV.

Ziya K

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
My situation is the same
my husband is Canadian and I’m Indian working here. We have filled for spousal sponsorship in May2020. Now we are planning to apply for visitor visa under COVID-19, immediate family member category. The finances will be showing husbands documents as he is sponsoring the visit, I will be staying with him and my in-law

Not sure if this helps to get an approval

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My situation is the same
my husband is Canadian and I’m Indian working here. We have filled for spousal sponsorship in May2020. Now we are planning to apply for visitor visa under COVID-19, immediate family member category. The finances will be showing husbands documents as he is sponsoring the visit, I will be staying with him and my in-law

Not sure if this helps to get an approval
Doesn’t really help. It would be best to show your own funds and proof longterm employment.

Reactions: Ziya K