+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get medical care in Quebec as an asylum seeker?

profugus

Nov 25, 2017
I need prescription meds for my blood pressure. My status is still "asylum claimant" and I'm only covered by the Interim Federal Health Program. I live in Montreal, Quebec.
Where should I go to get a prescription? To a hospital? Any walk-in clinic? To Pharmaprix (that's how Shoppers Drug Mart is called here)?

Reactions: jack_2001

Jan 10, 2017
I need prescription meds for my blood pressure. My status is still "asylum claimant" and I'm only covered by the Interim Federal Health Program. I live in Montreal, Quebec.
Where should I go to get a prescription? To a hospital? Any walk-in clinic? To Pharmaprix (that's how Shoppers Drug Mart is called here)?
You need to go to walk-in clinic and make sure that they accepts your Interim insurance because some of them don't accept refugees medical insurance. Once you'll given prescription then you can go to any pharmacy to get your medicine but please make sure to go there during working hours because pharmacy do confirm your medical insurance status otherwise you have pay for the medicine and a day later they'll call you and get your refund.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given covid getting to see a doctor may be challenging. Call ahead. This is definitely not something to go to the hospital for. That is a huge waste of critical resources.

jack_2001

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
hello
dont worry, the Interim Federal Health Program is much better than any insurance cover in canada,you can go to any wake in clinic,also you search for an open family doctor accepting new patients ,that you will need for the long term health needs