+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get insurance coverage from OHIP starts ?

arpitaggarwal89

Feb 20, 2019
Chicago
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
30-12-2020
My wife(Canadian citizen) and I (PR) will be landing in Dec 2022 in Toronto. Since Ontario OHIP does not provide any coverage for first few months what are our options ? The reason I am worried is about medical care and cost, since my wife would be around 8 months pregnant in Dec 2022.
Can I buy private insurance? Which ones ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife(Canadian citizen) and I (PR) will be landing in Dec 2022 in Toronto. Since Ontario OHIP does not provide any coverage for first few months what are our options ? The reason I am worried is about medical care and cost, since my wife would be around 8 months pregnant in Dec 2022.
Get an insurance agent or two.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Currently the 3 month wait period has been waived but the 3 month wait period can return at any time. It was changed due to Covid. You won’t qualify for private insurance for late pregnancy and delivery. Since these are guaranteed costs no insurance company will be willing to cover you unless you paid over the cost of a c-section delivery so they don’t risk losing money. You should be prepared to have to pay in case the 3 month wait period returns by the time you arrive. Appointments in late pregnancy and delivery will be between 7-20k depending on how long the delivery, c-section, complications, etc.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
She plans to travel when she is 8 months pregnant? Are you landing by flying in?

You may want to consider travelling earlier since it maybe hard for her to fly when she is 8 months pregnant.

If she is giving birth soon after she arrived, and if the 3 months waiting period is returned, she won't be covered for the cost of child birth.
No private insurance will cover her pregnance if she is already pregnant.