App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
dream16 said:
Hello Guys,

I am in the stages of paying my landing fee to obtain my PR soon. I am not looking to permanently move or settle in Canada. I work on h1b in USA.

1. Once i have landed in Canada, i have heard that provinces like BC takes 3 months to issue a health card. Are there any other provinces that would issue me a Health Card within 2 weeks of time if i intend to live for 2 weeks in Canada?

2. I also have to apply for SIN and Canadian Driver's License. I would be giving out my friends address for all these tasks as i believe they are all delivered by Canadian government DMV's/Health/Tax departments to local Canadian Address.

Please advice on any critical docs/steps that must be completed before i can get these 3 things: SIN - DL & Health Card. I think driving tests will be waived for me because i have valid american driving license for next 5 years.

My sole reason of obtaining these things is to always have my back-up plan ready and i am sure i am certainly not the 1st one who is thinking about these things.

Look forward to your responses.
Thanks a lot ! :-\
1) To be eligible for a Health Card, you must actually reside in the province. You will need to prove it. There are minimum mandatory periods and it seems that you don't intend to comply with them.

2) You can certainly apply for a SIN. To apply for a driving licence, you will need to prove residency in the province.

3) The licence that is available to you may depend on your driving history rather than your future entitlement.

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dream16 said:
Thanks for the answers:

1. Yes, i don't intend to reside there, looking for a work-around option that has worked for others w/o residing in Canada? For example: having your name added to your friends lease of the apartment?
2. How do you prove residency in a particular province? Apartment Rental Bill, Gas/Electric/Phone bill is enough?
3. Apart from 1 accident in US, my record is clean and not sure how much of Canada and USA driving record systems are interlinked?
1. Oh...you're looking for help with your plan to commit insurance fraud. Sorry, but the person that handles those requests suddenly...disappeared.

BCKev

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2010
Doc's Request.
02-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-02-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
Passport Req..
25-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
22-11-2014
dream16 said:
Hello Guys,

I am in the stages of paying my landing fee to obtain my PR soon. I am not looking to permanently move or settle in Canada. I work on h1b in USA.

1. Once i have landed in Canada, i have heard that provinces like BC takes 3 months to issue a health card. Are there any other provinces that would issue me a Health Card within 2 weeks of time if i intend to live for 2 weeks in Canada?

2. I also have to apply for SIN and Canadian Driver's License. I would be giving out my friends address for all these tasks as i believe they are all delivered by Canadian government DMV's/Health/Tax departments to local Canadian Address.

Please advice on any critical docs/steps that must be completed before i can get these 3 things: SIN - DL & Health Card. I think driving tests will be waived for me because i have valid american driving license for next 5 years.

My sole reason of obtaining these things is to always have my back-up plan ready and i am sure i am certainly not the 1st one who is thinking about these things.

Look forward to your responses.
Thanks a lot ! :-\
1. You do not qualify to land as a Permanent Resident because you have no intention to reside in Canada.

2. You not cannot get provincial healthcare because you will not be a resident of any province.

3. You can't get a Canadian driver's license because you won't have a residence in Canada.

Your best move would be to save a bit of money by not paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
dream16 said:
Thanks for the answers:

1. Yes, i don't intend to reside there, looking for a work-around option that has worked for others w/o residing in Canada? For example: having your name added to your friends lease of the apartment?
2. How do you prove residency in a particular province? Apartment Rental Bill, Gas/Electric/Phone bill is enough?
3. Apart from 1 accident in US, my record is clean and not sure how much of Canada and USA driving record systems are interlinked?
1) Already answered. All of the provincial health services are on the alert for this type of fraud.
2) That will depend on the province I suspect.
3) Note that it's an EXCHANGE of driving licence, not just an extra one. You therefore will lose the USA licence.

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
Ponga said:
1. Oh...you're looking for help with your plan to commit insurance fraud. Sorry, but the person that handles those requests suddenly...disappeared.
Hey thanks for the encouragement !! Work-around = fraud in your eyes & being sensible in others

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
BCKev said:
1. You do not qualify to land as a Permanent Resident because you have no intention to reside in Canada.

2. You not cannot get provincial healthcare because you will not be a resident of any province.

3. You can't get a Canadian driver's license because you won't have a residence in Canada.

Your best move would be to save a bit of money by not paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee.
Well, if i have extra money to spend, then i would rather waste it here :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dream16 said:
Hey thanks for the encouragement !! Work-around = fraud in your eyes & being sensible in others
Using someone's address in order to get a health card when you are not living in the province is not only fraud in somebody's personal opinion but also in the eyes of the law. You can read about fraud here: http://www.health.alberta.ca/documents/AHCIP-Bulletin-Gen-88-2014.pdf One of the types of fraud listed is misrepresenting yourself as a resident of the province in order to gain access to health care.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dream16 said:
No it is fraud plain and simple. As you are becoming a PR of Canada, you should at least learn and respect the laws and rules first before you try to live here.

And even if you did attempt what you are saying, and racked up a lot of charges on your healthcard, if the government ever found about about your non-residency (which is pretty easy with CBSA records) they can easily back-charge you for everything.

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
Leon, i have no idea how the healthcare system works in Canada, ppl pay around 40% in taxes there because of free healthinsurance is what i have heard, what i fail to understand is that why would Canada offer healthcare to an Unemployed Permanent resident if they do? Please share your thoughts and doing any such option of adding my name to someone else isn't what i am seeking considering it will jeopardize my future there and i am not sick physically/mentally (written for all those folks who love abusing others on forums)

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
Rob_TO said:
No it is fraud plain and simple. As you are becoming a PR of Canada, you should at least learn and respect the laws and rules first before you try to live here.

And even if you did attempt what you are saying, and racked up a lot of charges on your healthcard, if the government ever found about about your non-residency (which is pretty easy with CBSA records) they can easily back-charge you for everything.
Hey Rob_TO: you took me off-track where i never intend to go. Having lived outside my home country for more than a decade, i very well bound by the laws. Anyways, coming back to the main point, i am trying to understand and learn how things work in Canada, i never intend to get free lunches or treatments anywhere, i want to figure out the logistics...hope you understand !

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dream16 said:
Leon, i have no idea how the healthcare system works in Canada, ppl pay around 40% in taxes there because of free healthinsurance is what i have heard, what i fail to understand is that why would Canada offer healthcare to an Unemployed Permanent resident if they do? Please share your thoughts and doing any such option of adding my name to someone else isn't what i am seeking considering it will jeopardize my future there and i am not sick physically/mentally (written for all those folks who love abusing others on forums)
The people of Canada have pretty much decided that anyone who legally resides in Canada, PR or citizen, should be covered by public provincial health care. It doesn't matter if you are unemployed, studying, disabled, retired, low income or high income. Everybody who lives in the same province has the same coverage. However, they see no reason to cover people who are living and working outside Canada but feel like coming back for healthcare sometimes when they get sick and why should they? You are working and paying your taxes in the US. If your taxes are not paying for your health care, too bad for you but you can't expect the Canadian taxpayer to pony up the bills for you. If you want our health care, then you should move here.