+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Fix a Mistake in the Citizenship Application

ARCAN322

Mar 15, 2018
I was wondering how can I correct a mistake in my Citizenship Application.

I sent the application in Oct 2017 and received the Citizenship Test request a few days ago for end of March. I was casually double checking my physical presence and found out for some reason I made the stupid assumption that I only had to report the absence time Since becoming a landed immigrant in 2014.

My eligibility period was actually from 2012-2014 (International student) and 2014-2017 (Landed Immigrant). I had two travels out of Canada during 2012-2014 that I failed to mention (a total of 25 days).

Well, this does not affect my minimum requirement for physical presence as I am almost a year over.
But I am afraid that this may be deemed as misrepresentation. I know this will come up in the interview as the officer will check my old passport stamps and sees.

How can I correct this?

Please help.

Thank You

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
I was wondering how can I correct a mistake in my Citizenship Application.

I sent the application in Oct 2017 and received the Citizenship Test request a few days ago for end of March. I was casually double checking my physical presence and found out for some reason I made the stupid assumption that I only had to report the absence time Since becoming a landed immigrant in 2014.

My eligibility period was actually from 2012-2014 (International student) and 2014-2017 (Landed Immigrant). I had two travels out of Canada during 2012-2014 that I failed to mention (a total of 25 days).

Well, this does not affect my minimum requirement for physical presence as I am almost a year over.
But I am afraid that this may be deemed as misrepresentation. I know this will come up in the interview as the officer will check my old passport stamps and sees.

How can I correct this?

Please help.

Thank You
Optional is to do a new physical presence calculation (it that may be the easiest thing for the CO to process, so seems a good choice).

You can then write a letter explaining your mistake and send it (optionally with the new calculation printout) either by mail or using the web form (where you can upload a document, so you can send a pdf version of your letter+calculation)

I don't expect your error to cause you any problems (assuming there are no other mistakes or omissions), but sending the clarification seems the best approach.

(Take a printout of both letter and calculation when you go to your test and interview. You can ask the CO if they received those documents, and if not you can explain what happened and hand over the documents at that time.)