+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to find a decent room for rent in Toronto

manish_canada

Aug 22, 2014
Hi

I have changed 10 homestays till now (cheap as well as expensive), does anyone has any idea about finding good furnished room for a reasonable price.

It looks as if rooms in homestays are for temporary stay (like 1 or 2 months) but if someone like to stay longer then what are the options? Where can I find a self sufficient and honest house owner in Toronto. Most are in debt so are greedy for money and dishonest.

I don't want to get into the hassle of doing lease for 8 months to an year where I am required to pay 3 to 6 months rent in advance and put all the furniture.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Manish

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they are not in debt, why would they share their house with you? Do you think they are lonely and need company?

Reactions: fswevaluation

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If they are not in debt, why would they share their house with you? Do you think they are lonely and need company?
To be fair they don't need to be in debt or have a mortgage to rent out a room. Ir could be for supplementary income or to offset cost of maintaining a home/paying property taxes.

Typically most private rentals require 1 year leases with 2 months rent upfront (1st and last months rent) and come unfurnished. Housing costs are high in the GTA so most landlord are trying to cover some costs and in order to give up your privacy it has to be worth your while. Without any idea how much you want to spend and what you think is inexpensive/expensive it is hard for people to provide guidance.

manish_canada

Aug 22, 2014
To be fair they don't need to be in debt or have a mortgage to rent out a room. Ir could be for supplementary income or to offset cost of maintaining a home/paying property taxes.

Typically most private rentals require 1 year leases with 2 months rent upfront (1st and last months rent) and come unfurnished. Housing costs are high in the GTA so most landlord are trying to cover some costs and in order to give up your privacy it has to be worth your while. Without any idea how much you want to spend and what you think is inexpensive/expensive it is hard for people to provide guidance.
Hi there,

I have tried staying in rooms as low in cost as CAD 500 and as high as CAD 1100 for a month but result is same, I am required to leave the place in a month or 2. The reason behind this is that somewhere I am not comfortable to stay long in the home of the other person and somewhere they are not comfortable to keep me too long in their home.

I am not ready to sign a lease where I am bound legally for 8 months to an year and stay alone in whole apartment.

Is there any solution to my difficulty or there is no solution except to keeping moving from 1 homestay to another, packing and unpacking stuff again and again, paying the high cost of moving from 1 place to another and so on?

Thanks
Manish

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

I have tried staying in rooms as low in cost as CAD 500 and as high as CAD 1100 for a month but result is same, I am required to leave the place in a month or 2. The reason behind this is that somewhere I am not comfortable to stay long in the home of the other person and somewhere they are not comfortable to keep me too long in their home.

I am not ready to sign a lease where I am bound legally for 8 months to an year and stay alone in whole apartment.

Is there any solution to my difficulty or there is no solution except to keeping moving from 1 homestay to another, packing and unpacking stuff again and again, paying the high cost of moving from 1 place to another and so on?

Thanks
Manish
If you are only wanting to rent on a monthly basis and you want something furnished you have will have limited options. Most landlords will not want to go to all that trouble for a month or two and so you will also pay a bit more.

Franky772016

Aug 2, 2016
Hi there,

Thanks
Manish
Hi Manish,
Try safehomestay . Com for monthly rent but it is in North york.

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

Thanks
Manish
If you are OK to pay $1100/month, you can probably get a lease for an apartment on your own (assuming you have credit history and job letter). This would at least alleviate the stress of moving every 2 months. But these are usually 1 year leases, and it sounds like you're not interested in that. Good luck with your search!

mkumar2

Dec 4, 2017
Hi

I have changed 10 homestays till now (cheap as well as expensive), does anyone has any idea about finding good furnished room for a reasonable price.

It looks as if rooms in homestays are for temporary stay (like 1 or 2 months) but if someone like to stay longer then what are the options? Where can I find a self sufficient and honest house owner in Toronto. Most are in debt so are greedy for money and dishonest.

I don't want to get into the hassle of doing lease for 8 months to an year where I am required to pay 3 to 6 months rent in advance and put all the furniture.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Manish
I am about to move to Canada for first time. How to find homestays for 2-3 months till i receive my PR card?

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am about to move to Canada for first time. How to find homestays for 2-3 months till i receive my PR card?
Check Airbnb or VRBO (vacation rentals by owner) which are targeted towards travellers. They don't need job/credit history (which you will need for a rental later). Good luck.