+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to file income tax without SIN number

amrut24

Jun 21, 2013
Hi Guys , I hope you would help me with this problem .
I landed in Canada on a work permit in April 2012, accompanied by my wife and son ( both on Visitor permit). My wife, obviously, is not working and has no income. I filed my income tax returns online through H and R block as follows -
for 2012 - only my ITR was filed
for 2013 - both me and my wife`s ITR was filed by H&R ( even though she has no income)
I do not know why H&R block did not file her ITR in 2012 or even why they filed it in 2013 ( both year there were obviously different persons filing it)
Now , since its been more than 18 months in Canada , i was filing for CCTB benefits and they asked that i file my wifes ITR for 2012 (even though she has no income - as she is the primary care giver and she ll get the CCTB money in her account). As she is on a visitor permit , she does not have a SIN number ,

Can someone tell me how can i file her ITR for 2012 ( her income was nil) without SIN number ? and whether i can do it online or have to do it by mail ?

I ll appreciate everyone`s help .

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
I am not sure if you can file income tax without a SIN number... would you be able to check whether H&R really filed "no income" for your wife in 2013?

It would be better if you could apply for SIN for your wife as every time you contact CRA they ask for SIN....

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
amrut24 said:
Hi Guys , I hope you would help me with this problem .
I landed in Canada on a work permit in April 2012, accompanied by my wife and son ( both on Visitor permit). My wife, obviously, is not working and has no income. I filed my income tax returns online through H and R block as follows -
for 2012 - only my ITR was filed
for 2013 - both me and my wife`s ITR was filed by H&R ( even though she has no income)
I do not know why H&R block did not file her ITR in 2012 or even why they filed it in 2013 ( both year there were obviously different persons filing it)
Now , since its been more than 18 months in Canada , i was filing for CCTB benefits and they asked that i file my wifes ITR for 2012 (even though she has no income - as she is the primary care giver and she ll get the CCTB money in her account). As she is on a visitor permit , she does not have a SIN number ,

Can someone tell me how can i file her ITR for 2012 ( her income was nil) without SIN number ? and whether i can do it online or have to do it by mail ?
If she is not eligible for a SIN, CRA issues "Individual Tax Numbers" (ITN) for non-residents.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1261/README.html

If H&R block filed your wife's return for 2013, you should have a copy of the return. Look and see if they entered an ITN. In any case, as a customer, you have every right to go back and ask them! You should not apply for a new ITN for your wife until you understand what H&R Block has already done...