+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to do...?

sulumor

Sep 12, 2011
Hi all,

My situation is like this :

I'm a PR for 2 yrs, I stayed and worked in Canada only 4 months, I didn't fill in yet my 1st income declaration.

Now I want to sponsor my wife and I will need the Option C Printout.

I don't know what to do.

Should i fill in my tax declaration now and send a letter saying that I filled in my taxes and to include the pay stubs from Canada 2009 and the declaration of my income from my home country (which i have - 2009, 2010 and 2011) or should I not fill it in now and wait for my application to be proceed ?

Also, should I have a job ?

An employer here told me he won't give me a letter until I complete my probation 3 months period...which makes no sense for me...like this I wont work for him, I cannot wait 3 months and I also cant wait the Option C to come out.

I'm in a very stressful situation here, could you please help me as I want to start the application in 2 weeks, please !

Also, I dont know how to fill in the taxes all by myself, (I also dont have any T4s - as Im not in Montreal anymore and they wont deliver it by mail, only the pay stubs), so could you advise me a good cheap accountant who can do my taxes (Quebec - 2009, 2010 - I wasn't at all in Canada, 2011 - I'm in Ontario...) ?

I'm very concerned about this, please give me any hints, sincere many thanks !

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you don't know how to file a tax return, you can always hire an accountant to do it for you.

If you don't have option C printout, just provide an explanation in your application. Provide information what you made for a living in your home country.

sulumor

Sep 12, 2011
Should i fill in my taxes now or start 1st with the application, which way's the best ?

I think I m a non resident for tax purposes in 2010, as i didnt stay or work in Canada so I could explain that in the letter...

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
What is the big rush that you want to make sure it is filed in 2 weeks?? Sorry but do you realize you could be waiting for anywhere from a few months up to 2 years??

Are you filing an inland or outland application and if outland what visa office??

When you file the application, you have to have yours and your spouses applications done together along with a medical as well as the police clearances from every country that your spouse has lived in for more than 6 months since she was 18.

To gather all the proper information along with proof of a genuine relationship, you need to have more than 2 weeks into an application...IMHO...

I know the importance of being together as husband and wife as well as a family, but to make things go so much smoother and possibly save time make sure you have all the information as outlined on the checklist for your country....

sulumor

Sep 12, 2011
Thank you, Stumpedmom.

Yes, i know, everything was done properly, the papers just wait to be sent, my only (and big) concerns are regarding the lack of Option C and job, at this point...

It's an outland.

For my country it takes 6 months.

Now, I dont know if to fill in the tax declaration or to wait for my sponsorship to be approved, with an explanatory letter as last year i didnt work in CA.

Am I a non resident for tax purposes if in this time I still had a bank account in Canada, which i used ?

If the employer is not willing to give me a letter as soon as i need it, i dont know what to say...

By the way, does anyone has a sample of this letter from the employer ?

Is it a specific format, what it must contain exactly ?

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
If you didn't file taxes, then you won't get an option C.

I would include any paystubs that you have. I had switched jobs just before I filed. What I did was include the Option C and then because of the change in work, I included the paystubs with my application...

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cmmn/rsdncy-eng.html

That should answer your residency question....because you have the bank account and its actively used, my understanding is that you are a resident for tax purposes.

Also, I dont know how to fill in the taxes all by myself, (I also dont have any T4s - as Im not in Montreal anymore and they wont deliver it by mail, only the pay stubs), so could you advise me a good cheap accountant who can do my taxes (Quebec - 2009, 2010 - I wasn't at all in Canada, 2011 - I'm in Ontario...) ?

I can't advise you of a cheap accountant, not sure why your former employer will not forward a copy of your T4 based on the fact that you are in Ontario not Quebec. You may be able to call Revenue Canada and ask them for a copy of them, advise them that you are trying to file your income taxes for the past 2 years, and they may be a bit more willing to help you....

sulumor

Sep 12, 2011
Thank you.

What I consider doing is including the pays stubs / releve d'emploi for 2009 and my abroad "Option C" (where it says how much i made exactly in 2009, 2010, 2011), together with the stuffs from my abroad jobs.

And in the mean time I will make a letter to Revenue Canada to give me a copy of my T4s (an accountant advised me that way).

But my question is : should I fill in for taxes now ? (maybe CIC will say - why didnt u wait for Option C to come out if u already filled in ur taxes? -) or start my application as I specified above and give the reason of not having Option C / not filling in my tax declaration for 2010 as I was residing abroad etc ?

Which way's the best ?

And if I don't have a job when i start the application, do you think i will have problems ?

Do you think that an employer would put this condition, of finishing the 3 months probationary period before giving you a letter ?

It's not like a reference letter, it's just the fact that i work there (even if i'm on probationary period)...

If he won't give me one, I can anyway annex the pay stubs, with or without his letter, no ? (CIC wants to see only that u re not on wellfare when u re applying as far as i know).

Any further advice would be highly appreciated. Sorry for the many questions, I just landed here last week after more than 1 year and I'm feeling pretty lost in these details...

Thanks.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
sulumor said:
Thank you.

What I consider doing is including the pays stubs / releve d'emploi for 2009 and my abroad "Option C" (where it says how much i made exactly in 2009, 2010, 2011), together with the stuffs from my abroad jobs.

And in the mean time I will make a letter to Revenue Canada to give me a copy of my T4s (an accountant advised me that way).

But my question is : should I fill in for taxes now ? (maybe CIC will say - why didnt u wait for Option C to come out if u already filled in ur taxes? -) or start my application as I specified above and give the reason of not having Option C / not filling in my tax declaration for 2010 as I was residing abroad etc ?

Which way's the best ?
I would start filing your taxes ASAP, if you have your paystubs from abroad as well as from here, that will prove to CIC that you had/have income. Once you get them filed, ask for an option C and then once you get a file number you can forward your option C to the visa office.

And if I don't have a job when i start the application, do you think i will have problems ?
If you don't have a job at the start you need to prove to CIC how you intend on supporting yourself and your spouse when they do get PR

Do you think that an employer would put this condition, of finishing the 3 months probationary period before giving you a letter ?
Some employers don't want to commit to having an employee to a government agency if they are just on probation. I would just attach your paystubs and a letter to CIC explaining the fact that you have just come back to Canada, that you have a job at **** company, and that your employer does not want to give you a letter but you have asked.

It's not like a reference letter, it's just the fact that i work there (even if i'm on probationary period)...

If he won't give me one, I can anyway annex the pay stubs, with or without his letter, no ? (CIC wants to see only that u re not on wellfare when u re applying as far as i know).

Any further advice would be highly appreciated. Sorry for the many questions, I just landed here last week after more than 1 year and I'm feeling pretty lost in these details...

Its not a problem. Its a VERY confusing and stressful time going through all of this. Just make sure that you have all the information to prove to CIC that you are in a genuine relationship, that you can support the both of you, and make sure that all answers are filled out, if they don't apply mark them with N/A and that you have signed everywhere that is required to save time and frustration down the road....

Thanks.
Best of luck to you and your spouse throughout this process

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But if OP is a non resident of Canada for 2010, he don't file his tax returns for his overseas income. Even if he files his non resident tax in Canada, CRA may or may not give him the Option C printout. Instead, he just write on a separate piece of paper his explanations of not providing the printout and attach other proofs of income.

It's up to him to start the sponsoring first or wait for his filing of the 2011 tax return.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
OP still has to file the taxes for 2009 for the 4 months that they lived and worked here. All I suggested is to get the taxes filed and forward the information off to the CIC...

I agree with you...its totally up to the OP which action they do first....

sulumor

Sep 12, 2011
Hi.

For me, what does matter, is to start as soon as possible.

I'm just waiting for my wife to get her new passport.

Do you think it would be a difference between :

1. Getting my taxes done and sending my file, without Option C but with all my pay stubs and abroad income proves from 2009 - 2011

and

2. Doing the same thing but without getting my taxes done at this point ?

I mean, I for one think that they should understand - I cant wait 2-3 more months for Revenue Canada to give me that paper but I did my taxes to be ok with everything (and I annex that stuff)

What do you think ?

Also, as I just arrived back and struggling to find a job, if i don't, do you think they will still accept me as a sponsor ?

Should I do an explanatory letter ?

In that, I dont know exactly what to explain...the fact that you can't get a job ? :(

Misplaced Brit

Star Member
Sep 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/10/2010
I can only advise in terms of the Option C print out. My husband and I didn't have his Option C print out when we filed our application (I'm the applicant, he's my sponsor). We sent in his pay stubs from the last year, along with his most recent Tax forms, and included a letter that said we would send the Option C print out to them later if they needed it. We never heard anything about the Option C print out from them, and we received our 1st stage approval on the 31st August this year.